On the road

"I can't believe we're doing this." Brandon said as she slid on his shades. "And why are you driving?" He laughed.
"I have my license" I said proudly. "I can drive."
"So where are we actually going?" He asked.
"Mexico" I said trying to do my best Mexican accent. I failed it though.
"This is ridiculous" he said looking out the window.
"It may be ridiculous, but it's gonna be fun."
"Yeah, well when we get attacked by drug dealers eating tacos I'm blaming you."
"Shut up" I laughed. He laughed as well.
The sun was beginning to set and the mountains became silhouettes. The desert was raw and dry.
"It's to quiet." I said as I reached over and turned the stereo on. I was oblivious to what cd was in there, I was expecting The Weepies or The Beatles. I was wrong.
The sound of someone's little sister filled the car and I could Brandon got embarrassed.
"We don't have to listen to this" he said reaching to turn it off.
"No leave it on"
He pulled his hand back and we listened.
The song ended and another began. Our song. Outlaws.
My body stiffened as I heard the lyrics. Remembering the time we snuck out and he played it to me.
I looked over at him. I could see him just staring at the stereo. He looked up at me. And for a second we just watched each other. We both thought about the time we had together. The time we were in love and reckless. Where nothing seemed wrong and where that song ran through our blood.
The song ended and the world, this world seemed real again.