1

I can't be bothered to think of anything that's happened to me up until this moment, I find myself running for my life from a horde of the dead with a stranger I'd encountered only moments before. His name is yet to be discovered and formalities will have to wait until we're within safe walls he's promised me, when he offered I had no reason to decline if I wanted to keep breathing. Our feet tread heavily as we sprint for the gates to this community while he screams and pleads for the gates to be opened.

"OPEN THE GATES!!" He screams tiredly.

Finally someone with a brain cell opens them allowing us to barely escape the growling walkers behind us and slip through the small gap. We slow to a stop panting heavily doubling over to catch the largest amount of oxygen we can suck in, eventually my tired body can't take it anymore and I drop to my hands and knees heaving only to have nothing come up.

"Are you alright ma'am?" The man asks me and I just nod slowly.

"Rick.. who's this?" Another male voice calls out from behind me.

"I didn't really have time to question her, too busy trying not to get eaten." Rick I'm assuming, deadpans.

"What's your name?" A female asks me softly coming to crouch in front of me.

"Natasha." I wheeze out.

"Well Natasha I'm Maggie. How about you let me take you to the infirmary?" She asks me and I nod.

Her hand reaches out to grab my weak arms, she helps me to stand and we slowly make our way to a building as fast as we can with my staggered pace. She escorts me to a bed within a room as a blonde woman rushes to my side.

"What's going on with her?" She asks concerned.

"I was hoping you could take a look and tell me, Rick found her." Maggie answers.

The blonde woman I found out was named Denise, shines a light in my eyes before checking my body out for any signs of problems. She takes my vitals writing them down on a notepad before turning to Maggie relieved.

"She seems to be fine, slightly malnourished and dehydrated, but otherwise okay. I'll get her on an iv if you could get her a ration before she rests?" She says.

"On it." Maggie says shooting me a kind smile before leaving.

"It'll just be a slight pinch." She says warning me before the needle pierces my skin, I don't flinch as hospital visits were quite frequent for me in the old world.

I lay back in the bed adjusting myself so I was comfortable, thankful I didn't become a very painful main course to the walkers. I'm sure everyone will have questions as to who I am, where I came from and I'd be happy to answer them if I wasn't so exhausted. Maggie comes back with a bowl of soup and I devour it quickly, not wasting the opportunity I had to eat not knowing when I'd be able to again. Assuming they'll be on the fence if I can stay or not, I hope I can but I'll understand it if they want me to leave.

"Rick will want to interview you once you're feeling a little better. We're good people I promise, Rick's one of the best." Maggie says putting a hand on my shoulder comfortingly before leaving once again.

Denise follows her out and I let sleep consume me, exhaustion swallowing me whole. As much as I needed the rest my subconscious won't let me have this sliver of peace, I relive their deaths over and over again condemned to feel the guilt for the rest of my life. My mom died when I was young so I don't remember much about her, it's been my dad and my brother my whole life....they were everything. Their screams haunt me every time I let myself relax, the snarls echoing the school halls as they urge me to run. One voice stands out from the rest, sending shivers down my spine.