{ X }

{ X:I }

There was a face she liked to see. The one of a man who played the role of a villain but fit that of a true hero in her eyes. He was a displaced soul that didn’t belong anywhere but could just as easily blend into any crowd. Like a ghost drifting in the wind, he was wandering aimlessly in search for the missing part of him that he could never find. Dabi gazed steadily at her, his fiery blue stare calm as deep pool as he watched from the outskirts of their company, a faint hint of longlines hiding in those sharp eyes. Midoriya wanted to draw him in like gravity with its pull.

“Are you okay, Dabi?", she asked, casting the line in hopes he’d take her bait. The male blinked, shaking his head as he took a step back.

“Ah.. Yeah, I‘m fine...”, he answered.

"Are you sure?", she pried. Dabi nodded, gazing about the room wearily. Midoriya frowned, she didn’t want to let him go. He’d just got here. "Okay... well do you wanna hang out with us then...?", she asked. She could see it in his eyes. All he had to do was say yes.

“...I shouldn't...", he answered hesitantly. No, that’s not what you want and you know it.

"Why?", she asked.

"Protocol...", he stated simply, turning his back to leave. He couldn’t afford to get in trouble again, and just when he thought he had nothing to lose. Why can’t they leave him be. Why does their warmth beckon to him, torment him.

“What protocol-wait, Dabi! Dammit!”, she hissed, slamming her fist down on the arm of the couch as the villain disappeared as fast and sudden as he arrived. He was gone again, like a timid stray, he ran the moment she tried to get close. Why was he fighting her so hard. What was he so afraid of? Surely, he could see that he belonged with them too.

Those thoughts chased her going into sleep, round and round in her head as she tried to get some much-needed rest. Her attempt was futile as she found herself unable to keep her eyes closed, her mind keeping her wide awake.

After a long while of tossing and turning she gave up, worming her way out of Iida’s lap from under Todoroki and Bakugo as she started to pace. She was half tempted to go try and chase Dabi down. She hadn’t realized that her movement roused Iida, the male watching through half closed eyes for a moment before reaching for his glasses.

“Midoriya...”, he called softly, voice soft in its gentle rumble. Midoriya froze, the girl hugging herself as she exhaled slowly.

“Yes Iida...?”

"Are you okay...?", he asked, blue gaze studying her thoroughly with concern.

"I'm fine, you don't need to worry...”, she tried to reassure him, finally bringing herself to look at him as she made her way over to kiss his cheek. She was doing everything in her power to try and throw him off track. He sighed.

"I'm always going to worry...”, he answered. “You're my friends and in a very literal sense, all I have left now... you're my responsibility and I feel it my job to look after you, class representative or not..."

"Oh Iida...”, Midoriya blinked, tearing up a little as she ran her fingers through his hair. Iida’s expression softened, the male gazing at her before leaning in to kiss her cheek like she had him so many times before.