Chapter 28

There was no time for Norman to dwell on his problems as soon as they reached The Pearl of Britannia. He sat through the dullest lecture he had ever heard, trying to look attentive even though he didn't understand half of the subjects Lord Slyfield brought up. Beside him, Hugo sat in focused silence, gaining something from the discussion that Norman couldn't fathom. Sitting on the other side of him, Blair tried to hide a yawn of boredom.

When their leader and the older gentlemen stopped planning, digressing, and disputing, they all breathed a sigh of relief and put off their guise of seriousness. The wine was poured out like a fountain without end, the old men started telling braggartly tales about their lives' successes, and the younger ones sought more interesting diversions.

Norman naturally moved toward Hugo for companionship. Perhaps it was because the man was older than the other youths, but there was something more pleasing about his company. Hugo was engaging and lively, but he was also kind and serious in many ways.

Norman meant to approach his friend in hopes that the man would have a brilliant idea for entertainment. But before he could claim Hugo's attention, he was stopped by Duncan and Bartholomew who dominated his time with senseless babble and laughter.

An hour sped by. The overpowering smell of cigar smoke and the ceaseless drone of voices made Norman feel tired and desperate for fresh air. He had hardly paid attention to the things going on around him. All he could focus on was Duncan's ramblings about his father's yacht and the trips they had taken. But suddenly, a loud outburst of laughter roused everyone with a start, and all eyes were thrown to a distant corner of the room.

"Did I not warn you in advance?" Blair's voice burst mirthfully. "You should not have pressed me to do it."

In the thick crowd, Norman couldn't see just what had happened. But he saw Blair's face beaming in victory and heard his ringing laughter. Then the young man moved across the room, drank a glass of wine in one gulp, and hurried into the center of the group.

"Well, this is a jolly evening," he said with unusual cheer. "But I daresay, it could be better. What are you all doing keeping so dull and quiet this evening?"

"As if there is anything exciting to do here!" Duncan joked dully. "Do you come with a solution to our subdued state?"

"I should say I do," Blair answered. Then, lowering his voice to a whisper, he said, "What about a game?"

"Cards are so dull!" one youth complained. "We always play cards. They aren't the least bit entertaining anymore."

"I must agree with you there," Blair replied. "I've had enough of cards for a long time, I think. But what about a lively game?"

"Such as?"

Blair's eyes sparkled with a wicked sort of delight. "Snap-dragon," he answered, still speaking in a secretive whisper. "It will be the perfect ceremony to initiate 'you know who' and make him a legitimate member of the guild—our guild that is!" He nodded toward Norman and gave a meaningful wink to his friends.

Norman glanced from one to the other uneasily. He saw Duncan and Bartholomew light up with excitement. The others started to smile.

"A bit risky, isn't it, old boy?" Duncan asked.

"Your mad, Blair! We can't play snap-dragon here! Can you imagine what our uncles and fathers would say?" Bartholomew reasoned.

"There's nothing more thrilling than a risk. And don't be ridiculous, Bartholomew! Of course we wouldn't do it here. There are secret places in buildings like this, places where no one else goes except on rare occasions. If we're careful, we can slip away, unnoticed, and meet in the basement."