Chapter 16

"What to read?" Norman sighed listlessly, sorting through the books on a shelf. "I'm sure I've read all of them at least twice."

Jemma smiled as she continued sweeping the library's floor. "Dear me, sir! You must be so clever after readin' all them books," she said. "An' 'ere I ain't read so much as a word! Shows what kind o' simpleton I am."

"Jemimah, really!" the young man chided. "I wish you wouldn't be so cruel to yourself. You are..." Oh, he wanted to say so many things about her. He wanted to say that she was thoughtful and smart and beautiful. But he held back the words and finished, "You are in no way a simpleton."

Thankfulness shined in the girl's eyes, but she said no more. Norman kept quiet for a moment and then asked, "If you could read, what book would you choose?" He was determined to take whichever volume she suggested. It was a silly fancy, but he knew he would feel happily closer to her just by opening a book of her choosing.

Jemimah giggled. "I'm afraid I don't know many. But out of all the books in the world, there's one I really do want to read!"

"Which is that?"

"The Bible," the girl answered. "I've wanted me whole life to open a Bible! I 'ear it sometimes in church—and my, don't it make me 'eart 'appy! Sometimes, on a Sunday, I come 'ome an' wish I could go on a-readin' that book's dear words! But, I can't. What's more, I never get the time. But ya know, sir, sometimes when I'm wishin', I start to pray. An' it's like Jesus comes t' teach me his word even though I can't read! He tells me when I ain't been kind, or when I'm bein' selfish, or—oh goodness forbid—if I told a lie! He makes me feel so awfully ashamed of m'self on account o' those fings. But then he teaches me about his mercy and about his love! And even though I've been a naughty child, I know he's tellin' me that if I'm very sorry, he'll forgive me an' 'elp me do better!" The girl suddenly paused and looked at her master's son worriedly. "Am I talkin' too much, sir?" she asked. She saw Norman gazing at her with the look of a lost soul being drawn to something heavenly. His heart ached and trembled at the words she spoke; although, he hardly knew why.

He shook himself out of the deep thoughts which Jemma's words had stirred. "No, not at all!" he reassured her. Then he smiled and turned back to the bookshelves, more to hide in his own thoughts than anything else. Dear Lord, I'm missing something, his spirit cried. I...don't exactly know what it is. But I feel so empty inside!

He turned his attention to the one book which Jemma longed for and found it on a high shelf. Oh, it had been a long time since he had read that book. Taking it in hand, his mind travelled back in time. He remembered being a very little boy lying in bed at night as his father read the Bible to him. He had listened so attentively. He had felt so much peace. He had lain there staring up at his father's face with the greatest admiration. And he had fallen asleep loving the very sound of the man's voice as Jasper had read Christ's own words. Back then, life had seemed simple and joyful. Everything had seemed so clear. He had loved his father, and he had loved his God. Now there were clouds overshadowing him.

He still seemed to be tottering between boyhood and what he considered to be manhood. Sometimes, he still felt just like the adoring child who had lived to see his father's smile. But young sprouts of rebellion and pride had begun to choke his innocent simplicity. He had nearly forgotten about the God whom he had loved so earnestly in the past. Perhaps if he reopened the old, neglected Bible he would find something to satisfy his thirsting spirit.

A few minutes later, Norman walked into the drawing room and dropped into a chair with his book. He couldn't help glancing across the room at the seat which his father usually sat in. Empty. It had only been a few days since his father had left, but time felt long and dull to him without Jasper's company. Every morning, he sorted through the mail eagerly, hoping to see a letter from the man. But there had been no word from his father yet.