Chapter 6

A shaft of evening light rested on Copernicus's face, gently drawing him away from his dreams. For one triumphant moment, the sun shined through a gap in the dense rain clouds which overhung the city. Then it vanished, and a cool shadow took its place.

Still half asleep, Copper lay in bed with his eyes shut. He could hear the pattering of rain against the pavement outside as the storm broke lose. But there were other noises as well, louder and nearer, which claimed his attention. It was the clattering of metal and the sound of a mumbling voice in the room. Finally, he raised himself on one elbow and blinked his sleepy eyes open.

In a corner of the room, he could see his master's son sitting on the dusty floor. Charlie's eyes were bright with greedy joy. Spread out before him, he was arranging three little stacks of coins.

"Unbelievable! Remarkable! Marvelous!" Charlie chuckled to himself. "Charles Hannover, you are brilliant! Just look at all you have saved! Why, if you keep this up, you might be rich someday! Now, let us think," he went on, rubbing his hands together. "I will save half for college and half for spending. No, no!" He cringed and struggled inside. "I had better leave two-thirds for college and use the rest for spending. Yes, that's right!"

With haste, Charlie stuffed a heap of coins into his pocket and shoved the rest into a canvas bag. Then, in a moment of miserly joy, he pressed the stash of money to his lips and kissed his best beloved.

"What're you doin', Charlie?" Copper asked, still blinking drowsily into the light.

Charlie gave a wild start. "None of your business, you confounded snoop!" he exclaimed, looking flustered. He rushed to a box at the far side of the room and locked his money into it. "What nerve you have spying on people!"

"Spying?" Copernicus chuckled. "It can't be that when you did it right in front of me. But blimey! Where'd you get all that money? You been robbin' your father, Charlie?"

Charles ran his fingers through his disheveled red hair and swept it into a rather smart-looking style.

"No, I did not steal it. Don't be ridiculous! Some of it I earned by my own hard labor, and some of it I received as gifts—particularly gifts from my grandmama," he added, "kind soul that she is. I have been saving it. It is my future! Someday—watch and see—that little bit of money will send me through college!"

"College? Oh, go on!"

"I mean it!" Charlie insisted earnestly. "I will be a great man someday! No one believes me, but it is true! I intend to live like a rich man. And it all begins today!" He pulled his little allowance of money from his pocket and grinned at the coins happily.

Copper gazed in amazement. "You mean it's really, truly yours? And you're gonna spend it in a shop just like rich gentlemen do?" he asked. A smile dawned over his face. "Can I come along?" He scrambled out of bed as fast as he could and started throwing on his clothes.

Charlie looked unwilling. He didn't know just how it would seem for his father's apprentice to tag along behind him through town. But at the same time, wouldn't it be nice to have some company? Like it or not, Copper was his only friend. Gina was too silly and girlish to make a good companion. And little Robbie was practically a baby still.

"Can I come?" Copernicus repeated, pulling on his shoes in a hurry.

"Oh, if you must!" Charlie answered grumblingly. "But you will have to hurry it up! You know we will have to begin work in a few hours!"

Copernicus wasted no time. He got himself ready to leave and then followed Charlie downstairs, trying to smooth his tangled hair as he went.