Chapter 7

The man reached down and picked up the coin on the pavement. "Are you hurt?" he asked worriedly.

With ringing ears and a swimming head, the boy could hardly command himself to respond. But he felt a hand rest on his shoulder, and at last, the man's questions finally broke his daze.

"I...I think I'm alright," he quavered at last. He looked up and found the stranger stooping over him. Two dark eyes were observing him. And as the lad met their gaze, a smile spread over the man's handsome face.

"My, my, what an alarming incident!" the stranger exclaimed. "Yet, you handled it with such bravery—and such quick reflexes too! You must consider yourself both lucky and clever to have escaped such a tragedy! Come now, let me help you up. Poor lad, you are shaking!"

Copper felt wobbly as he got up on his legs and followed the stranger to the shelter of an awning which overhung a nearby shop. But the man's arms were circled around him, and the words of encouragement made him put all of his effort into recovery.

"Th-th-thank you, sir," he stammered after a second. He started to pull away from his helper's support even though he still felt giddy, but the man held him fast.

"Stay a moment," the gentleman said. "Be still. You will feel better after a while."

There was something about the quiet, deep voice which couldn't be disobeyed. There was something about the man's powerful arms which forbade resistance. It wasn't that Copernicus couldn't have stepped away; the man's grasp was gentle enough. But the boy didn't want to. The stranger's voice was steadying, and his arms were protective. It had been a long time since the child had felt so secure.

In a few minutes, Copper looked up at his helper again and gave a weak smile. "I'm better now. Thank you," he said, sounding stronger than before.

"That is glad news!" the man said. "Very glad news!" He released the boy cautiously, ready to help if the child lacked strength. But, seeing that the boy had recovered, he gave a dashing smile. "Now, to return what was lost," he said in a mysterious tone. With a flourish of his hand, he brought from his palm the coin he had picked up and held it between his fingers for Copper to see. "You dropped this, I think. I trust you will be glad to have it back."

The man's motions were skillful as he presented the penny. It rather took Copernicus aback. By then, he was feeling well enough to laugh in surprise.

"I am glad to have it back," he answered. "Small as a penny might seem to other folks, it's all I ever get." His countenance fell as he went on to explain, "It's sort of a joke, you see, sir. My name's Copper. Well, Copernicus, really. But they're always callin' me Copper. So, they give me a copper once in a while 'cause I'm only worth a penny to 'em."

A look of pity mixed with defensive frustration made the man's brow furrow. "Ah, I see," he said. "But that is nothing to be disdained. A penny may seem small, but it is far from being worthless. And who knows," he added, eyes suddenly sparkling as his tone changed to one of mystery again. "Who knows what a penny may actually be worth." He eyed the coin in his fingers, adding, "One penny?" Then, with another flourish of his hands, the coin disappeared, as if by magic, and reappeared in his opposite hand. Copper gave a start and stared with wide eyes. But the trick wasn't over.

"Tuppence?" the man suggested, and where there had only been one penny a second before, there were now two. "Or perhaps," he went on, "the penny will take on a completely different nature." Another fast, elegant motion made both pennies disappear entirely.

"Why, they're gone!" the child gasped. His eyes were fixed on the magician as he wondered whether he should feel fascinated or terrified.

"Gone?" the man repeated with a quiet laugh. "Gone is a mere illusion, my child. I assure you, the penny is not gone. It is changed. Look in your pocket."