Chapter 4

I slam my car door and slowly walk through the prison doors.
"Sam Wilkinson please." I say uncomfortably. I follow the lady and sit down at the same exact seat from last time.
I put the phone on my ear, "Did you take the test?" I immediately ask.
"I'm fine, how are you?" Sam said with a smartass smirk on his face.
"Look, I don't have all day. Did you take it or not?" I say impatiently.
"Hmm did I take it. No I didn't." He said with no emotion on his face.
"Why not?!" I slightly yell.
"Because I want a favor from you."
"Oh my god. What the hell do you want from me?!" I yell. People started to look at me and I honestly didn't care.
"I want a thousand dollars. Cash." He demanded.
"Hell no." I snap. "What for?"
"For when I get out in four months. It's enough to get my apartment back, maybe online school." He said with a sinister smile.
"You're pathetic." I scoff.
"Wanna know if the baby is your little boyfriend's? Give me the money and you'll never hear from me again."
I hesitate. Is this too dangerous? Should I just give him the money and never see him again? But that means I have to add another lie ontop of the other ones I've been telling Jack. This was all too much to handle.
"Fine." I say quietly.
"Good. I want it within an hour." Sam snapped.
"An hour?" I say in disbelief. "Just get it to me." He said and put the phone down and walked away.
I run to my car and felt tears start to gush down my face.
what the hell did I get myself into? I kept thinking. I got a text from Jack.
Jack: I'm home. Where are you?
Lacey: Headed to the bank
Jack: alright drive safely ily
Lacey: ily2
I felt so much guilt lying to Jack. He's changed so much for me and what do I do in return? Take him for granted, I feel absolutely horrible.
I go to the ATM and take out the amount Sam wanted. I head back to the prison.
"Hi um. Can I give this money to an inmate? He gets out in a few months." I tremble.
"Who's it for?" The man asked.
"Sam Wilkinson." I say quietly.
"Alright." The man took the envelope.
I went home and walked through the door feeling like complete shit.
"Hey baby." Jack came and gave me a hug from behind.
"Hi." I say bluntly and slowly walk away from him.
"What's wrong?" He said while stepping infront of me.
"Nothing's wrong I'm just tired." I lie.
"You were fine earlier, what happened?" he asked stepping closer.
"God Jack. Can you just let me be?!" I slightly yell while walking up the stairs.
"You don't have to get all defensive I was just checking to see if you were alright!" He fought back.
"Well I'm fine!" I yell.
"Okay fine!" He yelled back. I went into the bathroom and slammed the door. I hated this feeling. I felt like a horrible fiancee!
I heard a knock on the door.
"Lacey?" It was obviously Jack.
"Yes Jack?" I ask while leaning on the door.
"I'm gonna go get Genesis."
"Alright." I say while slowly opening the door.
"Are you sure nothing's bothering you?" He wraps his arm around me.
"I'm sure Jack. I guess it's the hormones. You know, the pregnant side effects." I lie.
"Oh okay. Do you wanna come with me?"
"Sure."
---
We pull up to the daycare and walk in. The provider walked up to us.
"They're taking naps. Do you want me to wake Genesis?"
"Um. No it's fine we'll just wait. Is that okay babe?" Jack asks while looking down at me.
"Yeah that's fine." Jack and I head outside and sit in the car.
His phone started to ring, he looked at the lit up screen and rolled his eyes.
"What?" He spat in the phone. "I told you to stop calling me." he says harshly.
I heard screaming on the other side of the phone. I give Jack a confused look.
"What?!" He yelled wide eyed. "You better not be bullshitting me...alright." He hung up and took a deep breathe.
"What's wrong? Who was that?"
"It was Tiana." He said and I rolled my eyes.
"What does she want now?" I spat.

"She's pregnant."