Prologue - 006:A Wish Upon a Ring

Returning home, a place normally described as a harbor of comfort, the darkness made it feel unusually cold and empty tonight. The situation with Emma and Aiden left you exhausted and unable to think clearly.Everything in this evening seemed like a bizarre dream, and you just wanted things to go back to normal—waking up, school, lunch, more school, home, dinner, shower, sleep...repeating the same dull routine day after day.

Like a zombie, you dragged your weary body and mind to the bathroom to shower. Passing through the living room, there no sign of mom, the only blood relative in this world, who hadn't even waited up for your late return home. She was probably already passed out drunk in her bedroom.

You never blamed her and only dared to direct all your misfortunes at the father you'd never met.

As Jacob undressed, his mind searched for someone to resent: "It was him who abandoned this family, him who tore it apart. I did nothing wrong, and neither did Mom."

While taking off your pants, the ring slipped out and made a few crisp clinks as it hit the floor. Once again, you were inexplicably drawn to the mysterious charm of the ring. It gave you a sense of something ancient yet familiar. Without hesitation, you picked up the ring and slipped it onto the ring finger of your right hand.

With a loud bang whitch can wake the whole down, puffs of smoke burst out everywhere. The ring shot out a beam of fierce purple energy, pulling you forward with such force that you lunged forward and fell to your knees. The cold tiles sent pain shooting through your kneecaps.

The energy slowly coalesced into a humanoid form—the figure of a middle-aged man, naked to the waist, with sharply defined muscular features. His head was smooth and hairless, yet the baldness did not seem ridiculous, but rather evoked a sense of power and authority. His upper body resembled a sculpture: bulging biceps, protruding deltoids, bringing to mind the fitness models on gym posters.

His presence was supernatural—his lower half not made of flesh but swirling purple energy, fluctuating with the movements of his upper body, ultimately connecting back to the ring on your finger. The scene reminded you of the genie stories from One Thousand and One Nights, the all-powerful spirit released from the magic lamp, except the figure before you seemed more earthly and real.

Once the energy stabilized, the genie remained calm and collected, taking in the bathroom surroundings with poise. His voice carried a certain authority: "So you're the one who summoned me then, young soul? What do they call you?"

You were still in shock. Though you clearly heard and understood the genie's questions, you couldn't manage a response.

Jacob tried to rationalize the phenomenon before him: "Is this all just a hallucination? I've accepted the misfortunes of family and frustrations of life as my normal, going with the flow and waiting for a turnaround. Is losing Emma causing my brain to conjure some stupid medieval fairy tale as an escape? Even if I'm a loser failure, as people whisper, I really don't need an imaginary 'friend' to come save me."

"Whoa, whoa, don't panic now! I'm the genie of this ring here. I think I was sealed away inside, and I vaguely remember I have to serve the ring's master to regain my freedom, heh heh heh, though my situation is more pitiful! Chin up, lad!"

Jacob thought on: "This must be some stress response from the shock of Emma and Aiden, so my mind invented this so-called 'genie' as a coping mechanism to console me before I have a mental breakdown."

You tried to rationalize the figure before you with reason, even psychology.

Seeing Jacob frozen stiff, the genie seemed to read between the lines.

Genie: "You don't smell of magic, just an ordinary mortal. Though isn't that how all compelling story heroes start out? And you, I can tell, yearn for something in your heart. Love? Opportunity?Hope?"

He sniffed around you like an eager hound greeting its owner. Even when you shied away, he'd find the right angle.

"Ah, interesting - not money at least. That's the scent of love. You crave to be loved, young one." The genie smiled knowingly.

Seeing the genie hit the nail on the head stirred something in Jacob. His eyes widened, lips quivering slightly: "Can you really make my wish come true?"

"Why of course," the genie replied lightly.

You suddenly burst into tears, emotions flooding through the dam as sobs and mucus streamed down your chin. This was a saving grace fallen from the heavens.

Jacob cried out: "My Emma was defiled, my heart utterly shattered. I shouldn't have spied, better to revel in fantasy than see Emma with Aiden. A loser like me can't match his strength, his handsome looks and cool, even his manhood dwarfs mine."

The genie stroked his chin. "Oh dear, that's quite a lot to ask for at once! Did you want Emma un-defiled, tonight's memories erased, yourself more handsome, your member enlarged, more muscles, or just Emma's love? You must give clear direction - I'm quite meticulous!"

Jacob was fired up, uncaring if he woke his mother. "I don't care! If you're a wish-granting genie, you can make Emma love me, whatever it takes. Movies show trading your soul to the devil - I'd even give mine to you!"

The genie snorted. "No need for payment, I simply have to fulfill your deepest desire for freedom. Your soul's worthless anyway, doesn't even smell appetizing."

His smile grew complicated, excitement or slyness unclear. Facing it gave you chills.

"I see your yearning now. Come! Face destiny! Accept destiny! Change destiny!" the genie proclaimed excitedly.

Mystic incantations in an unfamiliar tongue poured from his lips, yet their power was palpable. You watched transfixed as everything unfolded.

When the chant ended, a tremendous boom resounded. But rather than shock, it brought relaxing weakness as you slumped into deep slumber.