𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞: The Fall,

TW: miscarriage

____

She had been throwing up the entire week. Waking up early to empty her stomach was not a new occurrence, but she still couldn't get used to it. She didn't understand what was wrong.

Looking back now, she realizes that this should have been her first sign. Nausea and morning sickness are the most common symptoms of pregnancy, yet she overlooked it. She thought she probably had the stomach bug that Jack had, and assumed it was from him.

But then it started to connect with other symptoms. She was more tired than normal, her breasts were tender to the touch, and the most important part that led her to finally buy that pregnancy test was that she was late.

With the anxiety completely taking over her, Emily was nervously picking her nails. She was scared to pick up the stick and discover a positive result. She didn't know what she would do or what she should do. But she decided to start by picking up the stick. And with her hands trembling she did just that, and tears streamed down her face when she saw the tiny plus sign on it.

"What am I going to do?" she whispered to herself. She and Aaron were broken up, and he had moved on. She couldn't just come and announce that she was pregnant with his child. It would ruin everything, and she couldn't do that to him. However, she also knew she couldn't keep it a secret. It was his baby too, and he had the right to know about it.

Her biggest fear was that he would feel obligated to get back with her or resent her for disrupting his new relationship. The thought made her cry even harder. She truly had no idea what she should do, when she should tell him, and how she should do it.

____

Different from where they usually meet, the team gathered at a restaurant Dave recommended. It was nice seating together around a different round table than the one they are used to. Instead of having files and gruesome photos of victims they had meals and drinks, instead of profiling and discussing over terrible details of a case they were laughing and chatting, this change was needed.

They sat facing each other, Emily thinking the entire time about the time she would have to tell him, after all she couldn't wait until she grew a belly.

"Aaron?" A feminine voice was heard from behind her, Emily turned to the direction of it, seeing two women she guessed the taller one was Beth, Aaron's new girlfriend and she was right. "Beth?" He asked surprised, getting up from his seat to hug her. Emily sensed like the eyes of her team members were fixed upon her, and it was more than just a feeling. She observed their expressions, witnessing them shifting between pity, surprise, awkwardness and empathy. She despised it.

"What a coincidence! I had just finished having dinner with my friend when I saw you, and I couldn't resist saying hey. I hope that's alright." She said scanning the table for any sign of discomfort.