𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞: The Agreement

This one is long but worth it (I hope)

____

Six months later

"So... are you seeing anyone?" Aaron asked desperate to start a conversation and end the awkward silence, the team went out to hang out in a bar and Emily and Hotch were left alone at the booth sitting unintentionally close to each other.

"No" she answered simply, it was weird talking to him about her private life now when he wasn't a part of it but he asked and now she was curious too. "are you?" She asked

"No" he said, they both fell silent again, it was only natural that they weren't speaking as freely and comfortably as they used to, ever since they broke off their engagement they were building their boundaries and walls back, it was risky to try and talk.

Knowing it can lead to them collapsing

When they first started dating they promised not to let it effect the team dynamics and choices on the field, now when they no longer were together they needed to make sure their separation won't effect those either, it was hard but it looked like they were successful.

"you're allowed to, you know...." Aaron said quietly, Emily raised her eyebrows, scoffing "thank you so much for the permission" she said leaning to grab her glass and take a long sip from her drink, what did that even mean? he had no right to act like she was waiting for his approval to move on!

But perhaps she needed to hear that from him, as she found herself absentmindedly reaching to play with her ring whenever someone showed interest in her, she kept forgetting that she was now single and her ring wasn't on her.

His eyebrows became slightly lowered he shook his head ready to make amends, "I didn't mean it like that..." he corrected apologetically, Aaron cursed himself when he saw her reaction to that, like she didn't believe him and was preparing to snap at him.

And with the familiar feeling of a senseless fight arising he sighed and closed his eyes "let's not do this please, I'm sorry...."

She sighed "yeah you're probably right" she wasn't ready to engage in an argument it wasn't the time nor the place and he clearly didn't mean it so she let that go.

"how is Jack?" She asked shifting the subject to the only thing that they found easy to talk about, Jack. He always was the topic that made the conversation flow. Banishing any tension that may have existed between them "He's fine, very excited about your movie night tomorrow" Aaron replied smiling, their separation was very hard and confusing to Jack, who still didn't fully understand why his Emily wasn't living with them anymore, Aaron couldn't explain it to him it was the first time he ever went through this kind of change especially since he wasn't old enough to remember or feel the divorce with Haley.