five.

Ridge Academy, NY
1/28/60

"Bullshit" a voice mutters behind Evelyn in the hall. Normally over the bustling of other students the word would have never been heard but Evelyn picks up on it instantly, turning to find a flustered Charlie Dalton stomping down the hallway.

"Charlie, wait up!" she calls out and does not miss the way his shoulders lift up and down with a heavy sigh. She has no intentions of annoying him further but clearly she can't help but figure out why he's annoyed in the first place.

"I'm not really in the mood Ev" he mutters once she catches up to his side, yet based on the way he slows down so she doesn't have to struggle to keep up with him says otherwise.

"I'm just worried, I've never seen you so frustrated before" Evelyn says with a heavy sincerity and Charlie sighs again before softening his eyes and looking at the girl.

"The dean called me down to the office today. Says I need to have at least two clubs or sports and since I'm so late in joining all they had left was pole vaulting and planning committee" his words shock Evelyn just slightly and Charlie seems just as annoyed as before now reminding himself of the situation.

"Well look at the bright side. You said you did rowing at your last school which means you have strong arms. Pole vaulting should be a breeze" then Evelyn surprises Charlie by reaching for his bicep and giving it a firm squeeze. It doesn't go unnoticed by either of them how her hand could barely curl around the size of it. "See strong"

"I'm just not in the mood for a team sport" Charlie says, trying to brush away the feeling of Evelyn's fingers on him.

"Don't think of it as a team. I mean technically you're doing the event by yourself. As for planning committee at least you'll have me" and Evelyn's words have him stopping in his tracks.

"You're on planning committee?" this was worse, so much worse than Charlie had imagined. He already struggled to keep himself away from Evelyn and now he just had to see her all the time and try to stay away.

"Yes sir, actually the head of the committee. I'm kinda a control freak but at least I put it to good use" Evelyn says with a confident grin and Charlie struggles to not smile at her. She surprised him every single day.

"So now you get to boss me around, yeah this definitely isn't going to work" he says starting to walk down the hallway again and Evelyn rolls her eyes, grabbing his arm again and pulling him back into step with her.

"I'm not going to boss you around, we just get to plans things together" she tells him with the shrug of her shoulders and Charlie nods before glancing at her.

"What kind of things?" he asks and Evelyn smiles a wide grin.

"Well for starters, this week we get to start planning the Valentines dance" Evelyn says and doesn't expect the groan that reverberates from the boy beside her.

"Doll you are not helping this at all, red and pink candy hearts, teenage kids fawning over each other. I'll pass" and as much as Evelyn wants to take offense to his words she can't help by feel her body buzz over the name he just called her.

"I promise it won't be bad, I'll make it bearable even. Then next year I'll remember to remind you when sign ups are for stuff you actually want to do" and Charlie's exterior completely softens at the sweet words of the girl who is being completely genuine in wanting to help him.

"Thanks Ev, and I promise I won't be a burden. I'm just still trying to get used to this whole new school thing" he tells her, a large hand coming to squeeze her shoulder and Evelyn can only grin.