Chapter 22

What was she supposed to feel? Serenity silently asked herself, should she be hurt? or should she be angry? But she didn't feel either of the two, more like she felt like she knew that was why she wasn't surprised anymore.

"Serenity"

Serenity turned around to the sweet small voice that called her. Malkiel's eyes were full of worry but she knew it was more than that.

Malkiel tried to conceal his anxiety about Serenity seeing Jace and Hyacinth and being hurt once again. He tried to conceal the overwhelming thoughts that Serenity might try to get back together with Jace.

But Serenity just smiled at him as she held his hand.

"Come on, there's still too many stalls to go to"

Malkiel's gaze was fixated on Serenity, there wasn't any particular emotion in there that could direct to Jace rather she was just smiling. Does Jace not have effect on her anymore? He silently asked himself as he led Serenity away from Jace's gaze.

"Are you okay?"

He asked once they were out of their sight. Serenity looked at Malkiel and smiled.

"I also don't know, but I know that I wasn't surprised anymore, It didn't hurt so much and well I didn't particularly feel mad."

Malkiel wanted to ask why, but he chose to end the conversation right there. If Serenity wasn't willing to open close wounds then it wasn't his place to ask. He just smiled back at Serenity and held her hand tighter.

"Okay, should we get some food? Or should we see which games you're good at?"

"Me? I should be asking you, what games are you good at?"

Malkiel acted like he was thinking before answering seriously.

"Virtual drums and guitar hero?"

Serenity laughed at his answer.

"I would seriously question you if you aren't good at those games"

"Well, luckily I am"

Malkiel smiled at Serenity as they roam around the school grounds where people and stalls fill the place up. He should be contented that Serenity was beside him, holding his hand and smiling at him, laughing as if she hadn't seen the person who hurt her the most.

But he can't help but worry about her. He didn't want to see Serenity sad but if she was forcing herself to be happy then he worries that she might break.

He knew what happens to people who keep it all in until they reach their breaking points. He didn't want the same thing to happen to her.

"You two go ahead, I still have some things left at the club room"

Serenity looked up at Galene who entered the classroom. She and Malkiel had finished enjoying every stalls and booths on the school ground and decided to just return to the classroom since Quincey texted her that they went back due to the increasing number of people.

Upon their return she noted how Koa, Kenzo and Quincey were busy playing games on their phones while Drystan was taking a nap.

Malkiel looked at Serenity.

"Can I send you home?"

Serenity felt a light blush creep into her cheeks, she smiled sheepishly before nodding. They both turned towards Galene who was also smiling in front of them.

"What about you Drystan?"

Drystan raised his head and took a quick glance at Malkiel before glancing at Galene.

"You guys go ahead, Miss Emily wanted to see me anyway"

"Huh? For what?"

Galene questioningly asked to Drystan who buried his head on his desk again.

"For something that's none of your business"

"Wow don't tell me you and Miss Emily"

Galene was teasing him and it looked like it was working with how Drystan raised his head again just to glare at her. Galene laughed before waving Malkiel and Serenity off.

"Go ahead, those three won't be going home yet anyway. They're too engrossed on their game"

"Then I'll see you tomorrow"

"Yup see you"

Malkiel and Serenity both said goodbye to the trio but was only met with a short 'bye' as they were really engrossed on their game.

"Ahh that's right, on the last day did you know that you have to wear a costume that will represent a country?"

"There's something like that?"

Malkiel smiled before pulling Serenity closer to him to avoid her bumping into the other students at the hallway. The slight touch and the closeness of their body was hard to ignore but he didn't let go. Especially not when Serenity showed no signs of being uncomfortable.

"Yeah, I think we'll have to vote for it tomorrow"

"But you guys need to perform on the last day too"

"That's right we'll have to do it with the costumes that the class will pick"

Malkiel's image wearing various costumes suddenly flashed on Serenity's mind. She already knew that Malkiel's figure was just right for a man and that his tall stature would make anything he wears fit him. May it be a kimono, a suit or any traditional clothes. She quickly felt the quick rise of heat go towards her face, something that didn't escaped Malkiel's sight.

"Were you imagining something?"

"NO"

Malkiel laughed at Serenity's abrupt answer, he held her hand tighter when she tried to walk ahead of him.

"You definitely thought of something"

"No I did not"

"Yes you did, did you imagine me in a costume?"

Yes, Serenity thought but she would never tell him. No living soul would know what she had just imagined.