Prologue

"We are surrounded; we must maintain this line. They must not pass!" (???1) barked, eyeing the encroaching humanoid monsters that towered over the soldiers entrenched in the gorge.

"Sir, ammunition is scarce, and reinforcements are nowhere in sight. We must retreat, or we'll all end up dead," (????2) reported, his concern etched on his face.

Furrowing his brow, (????1) knew the gravity of their situation. "I know, but we're out of options. What supplies do we have now?"

"We still have two boxes of ammunition, a package of high explosives, our communication radio, and supplies to last at least one week," (????2) replied.

"Load up everything into the Jeep. We'll cover you. Time is short," (????1) ordered.

"Sir, yes, sir," acknowledged (????2) as he hurriedly gathered supplies.

"Plant explosives to cover our retreat. We'll take a few of those bastards with us," (????1) commanded.

"Roger that," responded (????2), already preparing the explosives.

As one soldier climbed into the Jeep, the rest of the platoon fired relentlessly at the approaching monsters.

"Sir, news from HQ!" a young soldier with a portable radio shouted.

"Go ahead, spit it out," (????1) demanded.

"We must withdraw. The extraction of civilians was successful," the radio operator conveyed.

"Mission accomplished. We've got the job done, but don't celebrate yet. We still have to get out of this alive," (????1) warned his weary platoon.

"Sir, the supplies are loaded," reported (????2).

"Well done! Let's get out of here!" (????1) commanded.

The platoon left the improvised trench, firing at the monsters as they retreated. Explosions rang out as planted explosives caused rocks to fall, trapping some demons.

Once at a safe distance, the platoon relaxed, some taking a well-deserved drink from their canteens.

"We did it, sir. If we make it back, they'll take us seriously now," a soldier said.

"I hope so. We did what they asked and a bit more," (????1) admitted.

"Cheers for that, comrade," another soldier exclaimed.

The victorious platoon headed to camp for replenishment, hopeful that their efforts would lead to the official recognition of the R.I.F.T unit