Chapter 3

The next day, I lie on my bed. The bouquet of blue roses is still at the trash can. I feel extremely sick of the horrible sight that I experienced last night. Oh, what must I do after being a witness and an accomplice of a murder? Truly, I have voluntarily made myself a part of the killing incident that have happened last night by refusing to telling it to another soul. I cannot report it to the police for Aldie holds the law during this time of war.

I know what I saw last night was a nightmare but is it wrong to love a man who only wants to fight for a better Germany?

My stomach gets twisted as I continue staying in bed without the appetite to eat. The twins decide to check up on me.

"What's bothering you?" Ever asks.

"You look pale and thin; have you been refusing to eat?" Esme adds.

I just offer them a weak smile as their older sister. Remaining silent and bearing the consequence of my action is the least that I can do. "How about a group hug?" I ask from the twins.

"You are rude!" Esme says as she picks up the bouquet from the trash can. "Why did you do such a thing? You could have given it to me if you did not like such a gift." Ever says.

"I do like the gift; it is the one who gave it to me that I have a problem with." I respond.

I cover my mouth after confessing that I do have an admirer. The problem with the twins is that they are not afraid of having their hands dirty. Ever and Esme gather evidence around my room, they think that it is a game of knowing who my secret admirer is.

"Found it!" Esme says as she turns the garbage can upside down.

Piles of bottle colognes and flower petals are scattered on the floor along with dust particles. The twins team up as they put the pieces of the note together just like a jigsaw puzzle. I pick up some pieces away from them, however there is no stopping the twins in getting what they want. I sometimes refer to them as the unbeatable team for their determination is always unmatched.

"ALDIE IS YOUR SECRET ADMIRER?" Esme and Ever scream.

"Shush your big mouth!" I say and close the door and windows.

"But I thought that he is a married man" Esme says.

"Are you not afraid of going to hell for the sin that you have committed?" Ever adds.

"What do you both know about love?" I defend myself from their judgment. The twins have not yet matured as a fine woman. As a matter of fact, they can play outdoors without the fear of having their body be covered in mud and dirt. They consider finding insects and playing outdoors an adventure and until they stop finding joy in doing such thing, both Esme and Ever have no right to tell me that what I am doing is wrong.

"I heard someone screaming earlier, is there a problem in this room?" Father asks. I give the twins a deadly hint should they ever say anything. "We have finally found the missing cologne. As it turns out, Cornelia has been stealing it." Esme says and winks at me. She has been a chatter as compared to Ever who is a better listener.