7 | pt. 3 : the day that was

Start from the beginning

Her eyes welled with tears. "I'd never leave you. I'd spend eternity with you, if I could." She then sighed. "You should probably get some rest, Five. None of us have slept well, or gotten any, in days."

Five nodded but stopped the girl from getting up by loosely grabbing her wrist. "Stay with me tonight?" He requested, almost demanding.

"Five.. You need to recover."

He flashed her a cheeky grin. "I'll recover faster when I'm holding you."

A small smile formed on her face and she couldn't suppress a quiet giggle. "How endearing."

Five pulled the blanket over for her, fixing his pillows before laying back down. Y/n climbed in, huddling into the uninjured side of him.

"Does it hurt still?" the girl asked Five, her head on his chest, cheeks dusted with a light pink.

"Just a bit," he replied, wrapping an arm around her, "Feels better than before, at least. Honestly, I could really use a coffee right now."

"But it's so comfy.."

He chuckled as a smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "Tomorrow morning, then."

"Sounds like a plan," she acknowledged.

The boy continued on. "You seem bothered. What's on your mind?" He asked, his gaze softening as he studied her face, searching for any signs of distress.

"A lot, I guess," Y/n confessed, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "But two things.."

"Yeah?" He questioned.

"..What are we? I mean, what's going on between us?"

Five's brow furrowed slightly as he considered her question, his mind filled with a thousand thoughts and emotions. "I.. Don't know."

"I'm sorry, I just.. We used to do this when we were younger, but it feels different now."

"Well, we are like a decade older - mentally." He joked, tracing his fingers over the emblem tattooed on her wrist.

Y/n let out a soft laugh. "Hey, I'm serious," she insisted, her eyes meeting his with sincerity.

He took a moment before responding. "I'm not sure yet, but how about we figure it out once we've stopped this apocalypse?"

"Yeah, I like that idea."

"What else?"

The girl's expression grew somber. "Oh, right.. Remember when we were sent to the Commission?"

Five grumbled, pulling her closer into him. "How could I ever forget? They're all a bunch of weird trigger-happy, stuck-up assholes." He remarked sarcastically, irritation evident.

Y/n snickered lightly at his colourful description. "As if I'm not with one right now."

"Hilarious." The boy retorted, rolling his eyes playfully. Though, his tone soon shifted at the seriousness of her question. "What is it though?"

"I was just wondering. The guy, Marsh, said to me that they wanted me for something.. Something bigger. He claimed my brain was a tracker for them, and that when you.. Time-traveled into the apocalypse that one day, you 'messed with their reports'."

Five hummed. "Yeah.. I heard them taking about that incident years ago. Wait.. They're tracking you with your brain?" His mind raced as he processed the implications of what she had just revealed.

"Yup, something to do with my abilities. The entire place is so freaky, and they didn't really explain anything in detail. I'm just anxious they'll find me again and take me.. Or worse, interfere with the prevention of the apocalypse with something more serious than Hazel and.. the other woman."

"Cha-Cha? Don't worry, if they come for you, they'll be dead before they even hear your name again. I'll make sure of it." Five firmly promised her, affirming with protectiveness. "We'll put an end to this and live our lives as normally as we possibly can."

"Thank you, Five. I don't know what I'd do without you. I really missed nights like these where we could just.. Talk." Y/n admitted gratefully.

A minuscule smile graced his lips as he tightened his embrace around her. "I did too. Remember that one time when Klaus invited himself in? Got us all in trouble because he was high and acting like a complete lunatic."

The girl laughed at the memory that painted a bittersweet picture in her mind. "Dad made us skip breakfast."

"Yeah, the old man wasn't too fond of us." Said Five. "Let's get some sleep. We've only got a few days left."

"What about your wound?" Y/n asked with concern.

"I'll be fine," Five assured her, "Important things first."

With a nod, Y/n settled herself more comfortably in his arms, carefully making sure she avoided his injury. As the weariness of the past few days finally caught up to her, she began to drift into sleep.

Five leaned in gently, his lips brushing against her skin before he pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Goodnight, Y/n."

"Goodnight, Five."

☂

(i don't really know how to write five out of character. he's always a moody arrogant fucktard to literally everyone. its also been so long since i've even looked at this story so the writing is a lil different and the characters feel that way too so just bear with me)