CH.23 - Dance, Dance

Jake's pov:

It's finally the day of the dance. I didn't think it would be that high of a deal because I haven't heard anyone talk about the dance except for the first few days the posters were put up. As soon as I stepped food on campus I could see a few guys asking girls out to the dance. There ars some people who are all dressed up. I start to feel undressed looking down at my pajama bottoms. Walking down the halls there would be girls making a fuss about not getting asked to the dance and there would also be guy practically begging girls to go out with them. Every time I would see a failed couple I would look at johnnie and smile, glad that I didn't have to suffer with looking for a date.

Before I know it school is over and Everyone is at my house getting dressed. It's not much of a formal dance but I still put on some kind of button up short and nice pants. I look over at Johnnie and blush at how few buttons are actually connecting on his shirt.

"Dude, you have like 3 buttons, buttoned. No way your keeping it open like that." I laugh

"Why? You don't like it?" He asks

"I-i uh...I didn't say that." I look away trying to hide my obviously red face

"Turning away from me isn't going to do anything. We're both in front of the mirror." Johnnie laughs as I cover my face with my hands

I can't help but blush whenever I look at him. He keeps giving me butterflies.

After getting dressed we all hop back into Sam's car and drive to the school dance. We thought that we would be early but the parking lot is half full. We finally find a parking spot and get out of the car. As soon as we walk inside the gym loud music is blasting through my ears.

After about an hour of being here I noticed how quiet johnnie has been...

"Babe, are you okay?" I ask, no answer
"... Johnnie?" I ask

It takes a moment before he says something.

"Oh, yeah..uh I'm fine." He stutters

"Are you having fun? We can leave whenever if you don't feel-" I get cut off

"Yeah, no. I'm fine." He smiles
"I guess I've just been really anxious recently. I don't know how to put it...I'm just not good with my words."

That's okay." I say as I plant a kiss on his forehead, causing a soft blush to form on his cheeks

A few minutes go buy and I start thinking....he says he's no good with words but I'm worse. Barely stuttered out..

"A joke of a romantic." Or stuck to my tongue..

Johnnie gives me an awkward giggle

Weighed down with words too over-dramatic. Tonight it's

"It can't get much worse." I here Johnnie whisper
"No one should ever feel like..." His words gets cut off by the loude music

It's been a few hours and I'm two quarters and a heart down. And I don't want to forget how your voice sounds. These words are all I have so I'll write them down you need them just to get by...

(Dance, dance)

....we're falling apart to half time..

(Dance, dance)

"And these are the lives you'd love to lead." I smile as I take Johnnie hand and starts twirling him around

Johnnies pov:

As Jake finally stops spinning me I look up at him and smile. I love being around him.. I then take a look around and see how many eyes are on us. Shit, there's so many people looking... Have they never seen a gay couple before? I Mean clearly not. This is the way they'd love if they knew how misery loved me...