Chapter 14: Saying Goodbye

Annabeth pov:

I braced myself before knocking on the Big House's door. It was the day Chiron was supposed to leave, and I was not ready to say goodbye yet. But, I couldn't do anything to stop him from leaving. It was the gods' will, so he had to. Even though he did nothing wrong.

The door was pulled open, revealing a weary and tired Chiron. He didn't look surprised to see me.

'Ah, Annabeth. Just in time.' He gestured for me to enter.

I slowly walked towards the vacant chair and sat down.

'Chiron- what did you mean by 'just in time'?' I asked.

'As you know, I am leaving soon. There are a few things we need to address before I go.'

'Like the Percy and Luke situation?'

He nodded. He looked ancient- like, his years ancient. Keep in mind, he's thousands of years old.

'You're going to tell me not to do anything, aren't you?' I frowned. I couldn't just stay at camp and not do anything.

'Yes, Annabeth. While I am gone I need you to stay out of trouble.' he said. 'And trying to find Percy and Luke isn't going to do that.'

I sighed. That wouldn't stop me. But then something else came to mind. 'Chiron- if you're leaving, who's going to be the Activities Director?'

He also sighed, and stared at the dusty carpet. 'Unfortunately, the gods have chosen someone that I do not think will be suitable for this Camp.'

There was the sound of thunder above us, and Chiron shook his head. I fidgeted, something I only did when I was stressed.

I racked my brain, trying to think of a person Chiron didn't like. There were lots of monsters- but the gods wouldn't send a monster to camp- and I didn't know anyone else.

'You didn't answer, Chiron.' I crossed my fingers, praying to my mother that they would be okay at the least.

'They have sent Tantalus.'

I froze. Tantalus, in the myths, cooked his son into a meal for the gods when food was scarce. When they found out, they punished him by stopping him from being able to eat or drink for the rest of eternity. They would send a murderer to camp? Hades, I would prefer Ares over him. At least Ares wasn't a cannibal.

Yeah, Tantalus wasn't okay in the least.

'When does he arrive?' I asked this, but there was a secret message behind these words. When are you leaving?

Chiron had spent enough years with me to know what it meant.

'In a few minutes. Annabeth, dear. Don't try to go on any quests. Stay here, and protect Camp. Don't go looking for trouble.'

I nodded, but I knew if a quest came, I would take it. Especially if it had anything to do with stopping Kronos from rising.

(Especially if it had anything to do with saving Luke and Percy.)

'Chiron- I need to know if I'll ever see you again. You're- you're the closest thing to a father I have now.'

He smiled sadly before getting up from his wheelchair.

'I too am unsure of when we will see eachother again. But, rest assured, this is not the last time you will see me.'

I nodded again, sniffing, before launching Chiron into a hug. He laughed gently and hugged me back. I buried my face into his shoulder, smiling lightly when i smelled his coffee scent.

We stayed like that for a while.

Until, of course, something interrupted us.

'Chiron!'

We gently seperated from eachother.

The person who called Chiron was, of course, Mr.D. Someone stood nwxt to him. Someone who I'd never seen beofre, presumably Tantalus- a pale, horribly thin man in a threadbare orange prisoner's jumpsuit. The number over his pocket read 0001. He had blue shadows under his eyes, dirty fingernails and badly cut grey hair, like his last haircut had been done with a weed whacker. He stared at me; his eyes made me nervous. He looked... fractured. Angry and frustrated and hungry all at the same time.

The hairs on the back of my neck rose. Mr.D began speaking.

'Ah, Chiron. Just the-' he stared at the horse legs. 'Centaur I was looking for.'

Chiron smiled tightly. I could feel Tantalus' burning gaze me.

Mr.D spoke again. 'It's time for you to go now, old friend.'

Chiron nodded. He opened his mouth to speak, but not before Tantalus cut him off.

'If I may. Why is this-' He regarded me with disdain. 'This child in the room right now?'

I glared daggers at him. 'I am not a child.'

'Annabeth.' Chiron gave me one of his looks, saying don't.

I rolled my eyes.

Tantalus narrowed his.

I glared a little harder.

Chiron sighed.

Mr.D looked between the three of us. 'Time to leave.'

Chiron bowed his head. He smiled at me one more time before leaving with Mr.D. I was left in the room with Tanatalus (ew.).

He walked over to me and I backed away. My heart stated racing and my palms grew sweaty as he grabbed my t-shirt.

'Listen, little girl, you need to learn some manners. Otherwise- you'll end up like some special person both you and I know.'

I nodded slowly. He let go of my t-shirt and I let out a breath i was holding.

I sped-walked towards the door, and I just knew he was grinning. I shivered.

As I opened said door, a lot of other campers stared at me. By the way I was shaking and the probably scared look on my face, they knew something happened with the new activities director. Clarisse, who usually hated my guts looked at me before scowling. 'What happened Wise-Girl? What did that new guy do-'

A few other campers nodded, looking concerned. I couldn't bring myself to tell them. It seemed stupid in comparison to all the monsters of this world (not saying Tantalus isn't one), but that really freaked me out.

I shook my head. Clarisse nodded. I have never known her to be this kind. It was nice, for a change.

'Travis!'

Maybe not.

'Take Annie back to her cabin. Go!'

Travis nodded before scurrying away, dragging me along with him. I didn't even have the heart to protest.

geez ok tell me why im finding writing tantalus like genuinely hard? ALSO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING OK WRITERS BLOCK. I HAVE THE IDEAS BUT LIKE IDK HOW TO WRITE IT. also sorry not sorry for the Annabeth angst :3 eughh anywayss hows life going people? mine is going WELL like ok i am getting into poetry like I'm in love (cough go read my poetry book cough) and I'm going to a party tomorrow?? like who me?? the most anti-social introvert ever??? but like its only me and my friends so... :D anyways, hope u lot are having amazing days! <3 (IF YOU NEED TO RANT TO SOMEONE- IM HERE :] )