Chapter 12: Flying Over

Hothead:

"This is not a bridge," Alodia says with crossed arms. She lets out a cough as she turns her head. I shake my head and roll my eyes.

"I know this isn't a bridge," I say, "But it's better than nothing."

"It is nothing," Alodia shouts.

As she shouts, she uncrosses her arms and points at the ledge.

"It's not nothing," Jump says. "If you pay attention a little more, you can see this particular ledge is angled upward when compared to the other ledges."

"So?"

"So that means if we do this right, we could use this as a ramp."

"A ramp," Renee repeats before he starts to back up and waves his hand. "Wait, wait, wait, what are you two talking about?"

I sigh as I explain my plan once more.

"We have been walking along this ledge for what feels like years now. I'm not kidding! I can actually feel the grey hair growing and taking over! Anyway, for all we know, there is no bridge. There is no crossing we can take. This may be our one shot to cross over the cliff. I said we take it."

"How exactly do we 'take' it," Alodia asks. "I mean, for your sake, let's just pretend I agree with your ridiculous plan and we do take this, so-called, ramp. We would not make it over the cliff. Instead, we would fall down the cliff."

"I have a plan," I say, "Oh, Ms. Small-Minded."

"A plan," Alodia repeats. "Oh joy. Let's hear it."

I smile as I take a breath.

"My plan is nothing but simple. Simple, I repeat. Simply, you use your gift and summon a shield. A big one. One that can hold all of us."

"Okay," Alodia says. "Then?"

"Then I use my gift to launch us."

I pull out my sword from behind me and encase it in bright, burning flames.

"Any question?"

Of course, Alodia is the one to raise her hand.

"Yes, I have one. Uhh, is that the fastest way you can think of killing all of us?"

I click my tongue and shake my head.

"Hey," I say, "At least I'm trying. Right? What's your brilliant idea? Walk for the next few years? I'm sorry, but I have plans ten years from now."

"In case you've forgotten, genius, walking was your plan. And what a brilliant plan it was."

"Hey, now you listen to me! Okay!"

"No, I will not listen to you! Listening to you is how all of this even started in the first place! Honestly!"

Renee Eamon:

"Hey, hey, hey," Jump says as she tries to interject but I grab her and pull her back.

"Maybe it would be best to let them fight this out," I suggest. "I mean until they get everything off their chests."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. We get in the middle if either of them draws their weapons."

Jump stares at me before turning to her friends and her friend's partner.

"Okay," she says.

While the two argue and Jump keeps an eye on their weapons, I examine the part of the cliff Hothead talked about.