"Just remember that." Derick said, his finger brushing against my right cheek before he stood up, and put more wood on the fire, leaving me plastered in place.

I tightened the last vines securing the wood to one another as the memory faded. Derick was securing the cushions in place. It was no yacht by any means, but it was big enough for Derick and I to fit on... snuggly. Looking back to the tiny shelter, fire, and small supplies we had gathered, my stomach sunk.

Derick and I had been stranded here for days now. Everything that we had worked so hard to get from scratch was in my view. It wasn't much looking in, but every tiny detail was crafted by Derick's and I's determination. Could it be possible to wait and maybe someone would come to get us?

No, I didn't want to start having second thoughts. Derick was willing to do this because of my idea. I didn't want to start second guessing myself now that we had come this far. I stood back with my hands on my hip. Derick stood next to me at nearly the same time, copying me.

"Are you ready to set sail?" Derick asked.

"Aye aye captain," I answered, smiling at him. He smiled down at me, and there it was: those green eyes that were portals. His eyes shone in the sunlight. His skin, blemished, and too adored by the sun's kiss was still so handsome. Any imperfection he had only pulled me in. The way he looked at me, could fill the sky with more stars than God himself.

The warm grainy sand was displaced beneath my feet as the cool water lapped around my ankles. The pulling of the current sunk my feet into place. Derick stepped closer to me, the ocean waves crashing on the shore overpowered the thumping sensation in my chest and ears. I followed him with my eyes. Every imperfection of myself, he didn't seem to mind as his hand gently brushed against my cheek. Even in the warm sun, the chills of his touch ran down the base of my neck to my spine.

His thumb gently grazed the tops of my ear as he put a rouge hair behind it. My body betrayed my mind as my head leaned gently into his touch. His calloused hand cradled my face as his thumb rubbed over my cheek. I let out a shaky breath I had been holding for too long as my eyes slowly found themselves shutting.

"I don't know what I'm doing," Derick whispered. My eyes were still shut. I was afraid that if I opened them, this moment- whatever it was- would fall out of existence. The feeling of his breath tickled my ear.

"What are you about to do?" I asked even quieter, maybe less than a whisper. I knew I had caught myself having debauched thoughts that I would keep internally, but when Derick was this close, my inhibitions left, and I wanted nothing more than to fall into the snare I saw coming.

"Ella, there's nothing more that I'd want to do than kiss you," his warmth pulled away from me, and the chill of his absence took charge. "But I can't."

The heartbeat in my chest that couldn't stop beating at the thought of almost kissing Derick had ceased its seizure. He wanted to kiss me, but couldn't?

"Why?" I asked, finally opening my eyes, but not looking at him, but the sand below. He kissed my forehead. He gave me signs that maybe he... liked me? I should have left it alone at his words, but I didn't want to. Every moment here, both of us were guilty. I knew I wasn't the only one with the thoughts.

"What happens when we get back to the real world? We're not going to be stranded forever, and I don't want to complicate things. I don't want to mess with the goals you or I have set for ourselves," he said, frowning.

Then why had he kissed my forehead last night? Why is he tender with any moment he has come in contact with my skin? Those questions permeated my brain for a moment, and then no more. Although I didn't want him to be right, he was. What was I thinking? The reality of our current situation would be coming to an end, and what room in my life would I have for a relationship? In some sort of castaway romance, sure. Whatever I felt for Derick would pass. This was just the environment we found ourselves in: all we had here was each other, and whatever I felt was a mistake.