16. Beyond Closed Path

Start from the beginning

Suri closed her eyes, tuning into her own sensations. Deep within her, a pulsating mass emerged, spreading warmth throughout her body, accompanied by a familiar feeling. The pulsation intensified, and along with it, the pressure grew. She shrugged, trying to ease the discomfort, and at that moment, the previously elusive feeling took shape: suppression.

The bracelet heated up and loosened its grip, its thorns merging with the stem.

Suri extended her hand, once again touching the rough surface of the colossal tree, imagining its roots bending to create a passage. A crackling and creaking filled the air. Through closed lids, she discerned how light gave way to shadow - the lifeless tree came to life.

Imber exhaled, and then, with a muffled, strained cough, interrupted Suri's concentration. Concerned, she opened her eyes. The warrior looked worse than usual. He bent in half, sweat drenched his entire body, and his lips had turned blue. Wiping the blood from his lips with the back of his hand, Imber answered the unspoken question, "It's hard to endure the suppression in my condition." His light brown eyes burned with intensity against his pallid face. "Go."

Pausing for a moment, Suri stepped onto the stone staircase, its end disappearing into darkness. She couldn't help Imber, but she could clear the way for Cassia.

"Keep a clear head and observe," were Imber's parting words. "Return alive. May the Heart be merciful."

***

The descent was behind her, and Suri entered the sanctuary of the Heart. It was an entirely new place for her. Everything she had seen before vanished into nothingness, as if it belonged to another life. Shug could no longer maintain the illusion, and the chamber revealed its true form.

The girl retrieved a yellow crystal from her hip pouch and took a few steps forward, checking her direction. The dry ground beneath her feet crunched. Pale roots, like disturbed worms, consumed the ceiling and walls wherever the eye turned. On the other side, black voids were visible - exits from the trials path, blocked by wooden knots. The roots held victims beneath the ground, deep within the sanctuary.

Slapping herself on the cheeks, Suri shook off heavy thoughts and moved towards the central passage – the conclusion of the blood mage's path. She tapped one of the largest knots blocking the way, and it felt like an empty shell. Placing her palm on the smooth surface, she envisioned the knot unraveling, opening the path. The knot started to move, cracks spreading across its surface, and white crumbs showered to the ground.

"Cass," Suri whispered. Her voice lingered into the depths of the dark passage, and after a moment, the dreadful silence returned. Fear seeped into her bones, paralyzing her vocal cords. Suri could no longer force herself to break the dead calm.

"This girl wouldn't give up so easily!" she reassured herself. "And I can't stand here and do nothing!"

Not all the roots responded to the command, but it was enough for Suri to squeeze through the narrow passage, snagging her clothes on the sharp shoots.

Silence pressed on her consciousness, and the light from the yellow crystal cast darkness a pitiful dozen steps away. Barely enough distance to react to the appearance of the needle and shield against its strike.

"The creature already knows there's new prey in town," Suri thought, her lips contorting into a pitiful semblance of a smile. She drew her dagger and walked with a soft stride, covering another dozen steps along the trials path. The putrid smell made her head spin, but Suri tried to ignore it, focusing on her hearing.

She felt her way along the path, pausing after each step. Who knew how much time had passed when she reached a branch; the roots collapsed, revealing an opening to another path.