4. Questions at a Cost

Before Suri's eyes, a spacious room with high ceilings unfolded, bathed in the interplay of light streaming from the solitary stained glass window. The sun, teetering on the edge of setting, cast its final rosy hue upon everything its rays touched. Outside, fluffy clouds lazily drifted, tinged by the palette of the gentle luminary, carrying the scent of sweet cotton candy.

Suri disregarded everything else, wholly engrossed in the panorama. Yet, it petrified her. The girl was anchored to the spot, unable to shift her gaze from the boundless expanse that drained away all her courage.

Cassia's gentle touch pulled the wanderer from the clutches of childhood nightmares, and Suri looked around, dispelling the remnants of unpleasant sensations.

Magister Pankratz scrutinized the guest with a sleepy, contemplative gaze while lounging on a nearby chair with unexpected dignity. Besides him, there were two more people in the room.

A somewhat excessively thin and pale woman was hunched over a table, surrounded by a pile of various manuscripts and scrolls. The faded robe, adorned with an exquisite chain, didn't look as awkward on her as it did on Magister Pankratz. However, it didn't enhance her appearance either. Beneath the bulky turban, not a single strand of hair escaped from the silky, ink-black curls. But the most remarkable feature of her appearance was her eyes: large, black, with fuzzy lashes, reminiscent of a doll's gaze. With unwavering attention, she observed Suri, as though studying a new scroll, her slender fingers lazily tracing the edges of the parchment.

Another stranger stood near the window. Suri felt a shiver at the proximity to the immense height beyond. On the other hand, the man exuded self-assurance, proclaiming with his entire demeanor that nothing could shake his determination. The black leather armor only emphasized this feeling. His posture, mannerisms, tightly pressed lips, seemingly from dissatisfaction, all portrayed him as a fighter. A smoothly shaved head and an eagle-like profile completed the image of a person rigid and entrenched in his views. Unlike the others, he didn't even deign to glance at the guest. This man was ensnared in the trap of his own stubbornness.

"It seems your art's ability came in handy at just the right moment," Magister Pankratz broke the silence.

"Yes, Magister," replied Cassia, bowing her head in a respectful greeting.

"In that case, stay."

Magister Pankratz rose from his seat, making a brief gesture inviting Suri to take one of the stone chairs in the center of the room.

The girl didn't hesitate to accept. Memories of the recent humiliation were still vivid, and she couldn't imagine the reactions of these undoubtedly significant individuals had she entered the room on all fours.

"So, what is our guest's name?" The question was directed at Cassia, but Magister Pankratz's gaze remained fixed on the wanderer.

"Suri, Magister," the attendant answered softly. "It seems she doesn't remember anything."

"Are you certain?" inquired a woman with doll-like eyes.

Cassia hesitated, casting guilty glances at her charge.

"I hear nothing except what aera wishes to convey."

"We cannot risk it this way; we need to be sure..." began the warrior, but Magister Pankratz stopped him with a raised hand.

"Aera Suri, we all know who you are, but your situation is different from ours. Allow me to clarify this misunderstanding. Before you stands the esteemed prior of the Savants Circle, Archmage Velda, and a slightly impatient but equally respected prior of the Warrior's Order, Paladin Ingwild. We are the Council, and it is up to us to decide your fate."