Digging Up

"Detective Jung Hoseok?" She repeats and he nods, he asks by pointing at the seat next to her, and she permits before he takes the seat and becomes comfortable.

"What brings you here then?" He ask, being interested somehow. Dr.Han closes the bottle and wipes her mouth before turning to face the detective.

"I'm here to meet Detective Lee Seonghyun." Hoseok's eyes grew large when he heard the name.

"About the teen case? 6 years ago?" He asked, his voice raised kind of before he lowered it so no one could hear him.

"Yes, how did you-" Hoseok cuts in with his words.

"I wanted to reopen the case but no one gave me the right evidence and case files." Dr.Han frowns a little before continuing.

"Why? Why do want to reopen the case that was settled down 6 years ago, concluding that it was just a normal suicide case?" Hoseok rubs his index finger against his chin before answering.

"I don't think it was just a normal suicide..." Dr.Han holds her head.

"Why do you think that?" Hoseok glances at her, his face is unreadable.

"Because there is a story that we don't know." Dr.Han shakes her head.

"No, no. It was a suicide ..." Hoseok turns to her now, eyes fixed on her.

"How do you know it's just a suicide?" He asks, his words are heavy now.

"Because ..." Dr.Han is panicking now.

"Because?" Hoseok repeats, like how every detective does to pull out the truth from the suspect.

"Because .." Dr.Han's voice fades as she stares at the blank, her hands on her head, as she can see someone there.

"Ma'am?" She doesn't move, her eyes are shaking until she closes them and breathes.

"Ma'am!" Hoseok called out loud now, no response from her, Hoseok was worried, he was about to get up but the doctor held his sleeves.

"Because he was abused and used..." She lifts her head, and tears are gathered in her eyes.

"He let himself free without any thoughts.." Her voice cracked, tears finally broke loose and Hoseok stood there, horrified by the sudden information.

---

The awkward aura slowly vanished between them as Hoseok was sitting next to her again. He was fidgeting his fingers, waiting to speak or to hear if the doctor had to say anything else, same with the doctor as well.

Their answer was walked up to them and they looked up to see the detective they were waiting for. They stood up, staring at the detective who was confused to see them.

"Detective Lee.." Dr.Han started but Detective Lee gestured for both of them to follow him. They entered the detective's cabin and Detective Lee told them to take a seat.

"I know why you are here." Detective Lee says as he takes his seat and rubs his temple. Dr.Han glances at Hoseok who is staring at the detective.

"So, do you-" Detective Lee shows his hand to stop the doctor, she was a little offended by that.

"No, I don't want to talk about it, so you may leave." He says, looking at them now, his dark eyes are tired and gloomy.

"But...sir-" Hoseok was cut off too and he didn't argue about it as well. Dr.Han sighs, showing signs that she's giving up but something didn't add up well.

"So, you want this person to meet his end like him? Is that what you want?" Dr.Han asked, her eyes directly glaring at the detective who was surprised by her words.

Hoseok was equally shocked by her words as well, he didn't expect such a story to be attached to this case.

"What- no! What do you mean?!" Detective Lee finally gave some attention to them, his eyes were wide and attentive.

"I have a patient who is like him, that's why I need to know everything." Dr.Han answers, her eyes are pooling up now.

"Can you give me the details, ma'am?" Detective Lee asks, trying to fish out any information from the doctor but she is on a mission.

"I can't disclose any patient details to you. Unless you make a deal." She says, her voice is confident now. Hoseok was staring at her with awe, no one dared to make a deal with his seniors.

"Fine. But let me know about this patient of yours so that we can save him in time." Dr.Han nods, promising the detective about any updates from the hospital.

Detective Lee excused himself for 2 minutes to fetch the files and meanwhile, Hoseok turned to the doctor with awe.

"You are something, doctor. I must say, you are amazing!" Dr.Han blushed slightly, no one ever complimented her like this.

"I hope you can re-investigate this case, properly." Hoseok rubs his nose with his finger before giving a bright smile at her.

"You can count on me, I'll keep you updated." Now dr Dr. Han turns to Hoseok who was a little taken aback by that.

"How can I get the update if I don't have your number?" Hoseok now blushed slightly, so they exchanged numbers and Detective Lee appeared with a red-colored cover file in his hand.

He slides to the doctor who glances at the detective and then Hoseok before taking the file in her hands. She gently rubbed the cover which had dust on it and a name appeared on top of it.

Case 1309 : Park Jimin ; 18

The file was thin since the investigation wasn't that effective at that time. They didn't look for most of the things and declared it as a normal suicide case in 1 week. Dr.Han looked up at the detective and smiled a little.

"Thank you, detective. You helped us today." Detective Lee didn't seem to like it and only nodded.

"Remember your end of the deal and then we are good." Dr.Han nodded and got to her feet.

Hoseok escorted her outside as she exited the station with the file she wanted. Hoseok stops in front of her car and turns around.

"When are we meeting again?" He asked, being cheerful and energetic.

"Soon, I'll send you the details by tonight." Hoseok nods and helps her to get into her car and waves at her as she drives off.

One hand is on the file while the other on driving the car. She can't keep the curiosity inside her as she drives to her apartment.

---

It was evening when she finally had time to check the file and update Hoseok about it.

Her hands were shaking when she picked up the file and gently opened it, the red string that bound the file came off and the file was unfolded in front of her. The first thing she saw was the picture of an 18-year-old boy, smiling at the camera, a gentle smile on his face, eyes nearly covered by his bangs, beautiful features.

She flipped the picture and the file started with interrogating the neighborhood and then closest friends, family, etc. But what surprised her was that they got a statement from his father, who was in prison for abusing his underaged son.

Her stomach twisted when she read the whole statement and felt disgusted by such a man who once loved his kid but then ruined him.

While reading and digging up a few things, the doctor felt someone was watching her. She lifts her head and looks around but she's all alone in her apartment but the feeling is still there. She picked up her phone and dialed Hosoek's number to check in, her heart was pounding now.

Luckily, Hoseok answered the call and she felt relieved that she could distract herself from the feeling of being watched.

"Hoseok, I-"

XXX

The next part is coming up.