Chapter 7: The Hunt

Hunt Forest 

Location: Unknown

Now that my brain is working and the situation sinks in, I have an enlightened thought. I can't protect either of us if I'm fucking dead. And to dig myself further into my own grave, words start slipping out of my mouth

"You have got to be shitting me... Oh shit did I say that out loud- Fuck-"

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF DAMN IT.

You're just digging a bigger hole for us. Honestly, sometimes I really worry about my mental capacity and wonder how on earth I passed my college classes. This really isn't the time-

The wolf makes a snarky comment I missed in the panic.

"Well damn, the wolf does speak." Ah shit I really need to shut my fucking mouth sometimes.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!? GET OUT OF HERE!"

The girl from earlier seems to have finally gotten out of her shock and seems to be trying to get me to leave but I can' leave her to get mauled by some wolf.

"I can't just LEAVE you!"

The wolf that stood between us took what I said as a cue because he suddenly pounced on the unsuspecting girl. The freak of nature stuffed his snout into her neck, it was a clear threat of his power! Showing that he could easily snap her neck and have her dead in seconds!

"HE'S NOT GOING TO HURT ME! HE'S TRYING TO CLAIM ME! YOU HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE IT THINKS YOU ARE A THREAT!"

Oh. Did not see that one coming. I know the beast won't hurt her too much. My conscience can't help but blame me for getting her in this situation. It takes everything in me to turn my back on the young girl who reminds me way too much of my sister. My mind goes numb along with the rest of my body as I sprint out of the small clearing.

I've been running for a long time. I can't feel the burn of my throat or the fatigue in my legs, I just keep going. Trying to run the image of her pinned under the monstrous body from my mind. It is ineffective, I can still hear the desperation in her last wish for me to leave.

I know my body is tired and I know I'm going to collapse soon but I keep going. I have to get as far as possible from that freak. My breaking point is nearing faster than I want it too and my coat is long ripped from the many low hanging branches I've run through.

I'm uncoordinated and chaotic, It's no surprise when my vision starts to fade. At first it's just the corners but now I have tunnel vision.

I don't see the branch till it's too late.

I run right into it.

Fuck that hurt.

My vision goes out and my body follows it.

At least the little girl can't haunt me if I'm dead.

Well I'm not dead. Yay?

My head hurts like a bitch, I definitely have a concussion. My stomach is screaming at me and my throat is long past screaming. My coat is in shreds but thankfully my pockets seem to be intact, the sandwich is a bit squashed but it's the best I got.

I quickly open the bag and tear a small corner off the square smashed peanut butter sandwich. I put it in my dry mouth and started chewing, it tastes like shit but that could just be my guilt manifesting.

Swallowing hurts. I'm dehydrated and the lack of saliva hurts my esophagus but I'm doing my best to force it down. The next bite I try to let it sit in my mouth a little long before swallowing to see if it helps. It doesn't.

After forcing half the sandwich I stuff the rest back in the bag and begin the search for water all over again, I hope it goes better this time.

I'm not worried about paying attention when I take turns because I'm so lost at this point I don't think I could get anymore lost. My whole life surrounds finding water right now, nothing else matters. Those matters are for a future Arlein to worry about.

As much as I love my family I don't want them to watch me die of dehydration and stupidity. My concussion makes focusing hard so finding water is a different kind of challenge now. Thinking is hard so at least the past can't hurt me.

I try to stay as positive and focused as much as I can on the task ahead but it's hard, and I'm struggling. I find myself questioning continuing on even though my survival depends on it. I'm louder than I would like, and I'm sure if a wolf wants me dead I'd be dead already.

Focus.

What was I doing? I should sit down. No, keep going. What's the point? I'm going to die anyway.

If I was in my right mind I might have noticed the pair of eyes that followed my every move. The eerie silence that overtook the portion of the forest I'm in.

But I don't.

I don't notice the lack of sound.

I don't notice the wind stop.

I don't notice the smoke or the heat or my hairs standing on end.

Honestly looking back I probably would have walked right into the spreading fire had it not been for Isaac.

"-lein? Arlein! ARLEIN! "

When I finally heard him I jumped out of my skin and whipped my head around to see him.

I don't even catch a glimpse of him before I drop to the ground grabbing my head in pain as my vision swims and my head feels like it bursting in two

"Ary!?"

"My head-" I moaned out in pain

"Hey, hey look at me? You're gonna be okay but you definitely have a concussion."

I leaned my weight against him and tried to focus my blurry vision on his face.

"Here, drink some of this." He offered me the rest of his water from the lunch they gave us.

I drink the water in little sips and it is the best thing ever, it soothes my throat and makes everything just a little clearer. Once I finish off the water he puts the plastic bottle back in his packet just in case we find more later. We sit there for some time before he starts to get anxious, I know that means we've got to move.

"Ary, we really got to get moving. The smoke is getting thicker and I don't feel comfortable leaving the boys alone for too much longer. If you can stand up, I'll carry you back to where we were staying."

Could I walk if I needed to? Probably. But we wouldn't get very far very fast so I don't have to think very hard on letting him carry me. Plus it makes me feel safe to be in his arms.

"Thank you, I love you so much."

~~~~

A/N

Less of a cliffhanger this time, what do you think of the story so far? Any Idea what caused the fire?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my work, it means a lot to me. I love all of you and hope you have a great rest of your day/night. (Don't forget to sleep)

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share it means a lot. Thanks.

Word Count: 1,236