Chp. 12

Sarah smiled thinking of her family now in the quiet morning hours. Though she was incredibly bored right now, not wanting to turn on the T.V. to allow Karen to rest, she had really nothing to do but stare up at the ceiling. She regretted not asking for a book or her laptop instead she assured her Father she was fine as he left to take Toby home due to him having a soccer game the next day. She planned on creating a list of things she wanted brought to her in the hospital. If she was stuck in the hospital for 3 months, as her doctor informed her earlier, she didn't plan on moping the entire time. Sarah planned on using that time wisely to start writing her next book.

  One of the things that worried her was the weekly meeting she had with her Labyrinth Friends. Usually she was able to contact them through any reflective surface, a gift that she believed to be a side effect from her time in The Labyrinth. She preferred using mirrors due to the better images they provided,  she usually contacted them from either a mirror in her apartment or the vanity mirror she had left at her parents house. She usually made sure she had complete privacy because she didn't need anyone thinking she was crazy or something like that. Yet since she was in the Hospital with little to no privacy, it was near impossible to have the meeting without looking crazy for talking to a mirror. 

  Unless she was able to get a compact mirror and privacy, she would have to rely on her brother to relay messages between her and her friends. Though she would have to be careful of  not giving her brother the a upper hand in blackmail material. As of right now she had the upper hand in blackmail material due to knowing most of Toby's secrets. The  ongoing blackmail battle between the siblings was due to having a lawyer for a Father. It was all in good fun and they mostly used the info they obtained to mainly blackmail the other into agreeing with them or as Toby used it to have his sister drive him places for free.

 A nurse came in interrupting her musings, to inform her she could sleep now. Sarah gratefully closed her eyes and fell into a peaceful sleep soon afterwards.

Jareth's POV

  Jareth jerked awake confused as to where he was. He rubbed sleep from his eyes and quickly realized he had dozed off in his study. He sighed, picked up the book that had dropped in his sleep. Leaning to rest his head on the back of the sofa and stared up at the ceiling. 

  He tried to remember the dream he just had but the details were quickly fading from his mind. He vaguely remembered a group of people singing and dancing around a bonfire. It reminded him of the spring equinox celebration that happened around most of the Faerie countries, celebrating the blessing of spring.

  One of the details he did remember with clarity was of Sarah being there. She was hiding behind a tree watching the celebration. She had grown up and looked resplendent in her Elvish outfit with a tiara and necklace that showed her position as Goblin Queen. Jareth was unable to move any closer to her so he watched from a safe distance. 

  Jareth was pondering why they were here when he realized Sarah had left her hiding spot. He quickly moved to follow but was unable to get any closer due to the stupid magical restrictions that he was bound to follow. As Sarah fell down a hole, he fought to get closer when he felt the restrictions weaken as Sarah yelled his name.

  Jareth quickly came and grabbed Sarah by the hand. She looked up at him with shock written all over her face. Two other people were helping hold Sarah up but he was unable to make out their faces. As he began trying to lift Sarah up, the strangers let go of Sarah and she slipped through his hands. 

  Jareth called her name and prepared to follow her when a pair of hands grabbed him.  They pulled him away from the hole even as he fought them. As he stood up he saw the face of his Godmother who he knew to be dead. Staring at her in shock, he was unprepared for the hands helping her to hold him pushing him so that he fell backward. He then awoke in his study.

 Jareth quickly summoned one of his crystals hoping it would show him Sarah. Yet just like every other time the crystal filled up with what looked like fog. He then tried to have it show his Godmother but the crystal didn't even react and remained clear. Then just to make sure his crystal was actually working, he then had it show him young Tobias. The crystal showed a image of young Tobias in his bed with his Father there. They seemed to be having a deep and serious conversation. Jareth, not feeling like eavesdropping on a private conversation between Father and Son, growled in frustration and dismissed the crystal. 

  He got up and poured himself a drink. Jareth was not used to feeling useless and uncertain yet that was his his most prominent feelings these last 2 days. Unless Sarah said his name aloud or wished to see him, Jareth was tied by the magical rules that the Labyrinth had created since the beginning of this land. He was unable to visit or see her through his crystals unless she specifically wished to see him.

  Jareth's thoughts turned to a new dilemma. Getting Tala ready for the mortal realm and to be able to have her pass as a normal human teenager. He groaned but went to his desk to start planning and writing things she would need and things she needed to watch out for.

  While he was figuring out who would be sent as a guard to protect her, Jareth paused as a thought came to his head. Perhaps he could have Tala trick, no, "help" Sarah to either say his name or wish for him. Jareth's smile grew the more he thought of this plan.  He quickly rang his bell to summon a servant, his page came running, though that was odd because usually Myrtle was usually the one who arrived first. The page quickly left to search for his favorite cousin.

"Yes" Jareth thought "this plan could work." So wrapped up in his thoughts that he didn't notice Myrtle sneaking out of his study.

  Elsewhere a shadowy creature was groveling on the floor beside a huge bed with the curtains pulled around it obscuring the occupant. 

The miserable creature sputtered "M-m-m-master forg-g-give y-your lowly s-s-s-servant."

  A voice full of malice and power answered "Forgive You?!? Because of your plan we lost our chance to bring the girl here. She was injured to the extent we needed. Wounded enough to pull through the veil and not put up the fight but also not enough to kill her. Her injuries would have made her easier to control and to do our bidding. We have lost our chance!!"

  Shadows sprung to life and twisted around the creature crushing him slowly. The creature wailed out in pain and began begging " Master, please forgive this lowly servant. Spare my life, please. Let me redeem myself."

  The creature was thrown across the vast room, hitting the wall with an audible crack. The voice behind the curtains spoke "Go, this is your last chance. Figure out why the Goblins protected the girl and your life may be spared. Fail me again and you shall be thrown into the pit to be torn apart by the hounds."

   The creature scurried out while profusely thanking his Master. A cloaked figure appeared by the bed after the creature departed. They spoke with a feminine voice "What now? This attack has alerted our enemies. If they realize who the girl is....."

  "Silence." The cruel voice hissed. "The girl is the key to our plans. We have finally found her, we will not give up  our plan and our revenge because of a few unimportant things get in our way."

  The figure moved as though wishing to argue but shadows wrapped around them. Cold, cruel red eyes showed behind the bed curtains, their voice held contempt and anger as they spoke "Do not defy me!! This will only set us back a few years due to my magical injury but our darkness and despair has grown and now covers and consumes the Lands of Light even now. Even if they figure out the girl's identity it will be too late. They are trapped in our web, they do not even know that already there is no escape for them.  Leave now."

  The shadows released the figure and who bowed before they left. The owner of the voice closed his eyes and laid back against the pillows. Visions of destruction and war filled his mind. Yes, his plans were only delayed for awhile. 

  "Enjoy the peace while you can for soon the darkness shall snuff out the light and cover both the Faerie and Mortal realm. We of the darkness have waited years for our plans to come to fruition. We shall not fail again." He thought triumphantly.