Chapter 7 - Imprisoned

Souss-Massa Region, Morocco, 8th of July 1999

I spent the whole night crying. Thinking about my sister and that earliest memory I have of her. And, even if the eagle has tried his best to comfort me, I still couldn't close an eye because of the terrible turmoil in my soul.

That entire agitation also got mixed with the pulsating pain in my wounds, resulting in a very lethal combination for any attempt to sleep. So, after I allowed all the tears to run freely until I've got nothing left to cry, I decide there's no point in postponing the opening of the vault and reliving the memory of one of the most stupid decisions I've taken in my entire life.

~

East Berlin, German Democratic Republic, 30th of April 1988

After he heard the entire crazy story of my failed attempts to find my sister in East Berlin, Albert Lorentz decided to come with me willingly back to his former homeland. However, not without a plan. And, even if we discussed it continuously over the past two days, there's still no certainty that it'll work out.

"Are you afraid?" he asks me while we sneak through the border.

"No," I shake my head trying not to cry, thinking about the sacrifices this person is doing right now just for my sake.

Albert is a good man. Maybe too good for the world around him. Nice enough to care about how I feel while he's going back to a country he left more than ten years ago. A place where, in case our plan will fail, Albert will be imprisoned for good and severely persecuted. Not only for fleeing East Berlin himself, but for facilitating the exit for ten other people, among them two very important persons. Hence, he assumed the Stasi want him alive for interrogation and has based our entire plan on this fragile theory.

"Are you afraid?" I ask.

"No," he says as we walk down to the meeting point that Wolfgang has communicated to me over the phone, after I called to tell him that I accept his deal. "I'm rather worried they won't give Sabine to you."

"It doesn't matter," I sigh, "at least I know I tried. Thanks for doing this."

"Don't worry," he smiles. "You deserve to get your sister back."

This man has been a rebel his entire life. Hence why he didn't feel intimidated by the idea that he has to wait for me in the Stasi prison for as long as possible.

Our plan is pretty simple. I give Albert to them while I'll go and get Sabine. Cross with her in the West and send her at the monastery or someplace safe. After that, I'll have to return to help Albert escape from prison, and return home to his family.

"Thank you for everything," I whisper as we approach the area and already spot the police cars in the distance. "I'll help you out of prison. You have my word."

"I believe you, Gunde," he smiles. "Go get your sister back first."

I nod and struggle to keep a neutral expression as we approach Wolfgang and his men. According to our plan, Albert is tied and keeps shouting all profanities at me for kidnapping him and taking him back in his former city.

"Good morning, Fräulein Feltz," Wolfgang greets me pleased. "I see you've done an amazing job. And so quickly."

"Where's Sabine?" I ask, holding tightly onto Albert. "You have to keep your promise too."

"Of course. Get in the car and I'll drive you to her school."

"This is not what we agreed to," I snap. "You said I'll bring you this idiot and in exchange you'll let me and my sister pass legally in the West."