Fighting with the Fighter (13)

Start from the beginning

Nico smiled and picked up his fork and started shoving forkfuls of fruit into his mouth. Nico was about halfway through the bowl when he realized that at the rate he was eating, he would have to actually head over to Mount Justice.

Nico sighed and started eating at the rate of one blueberry per not-nervous thought.

It still wasn't slow enough.

"I hope you aren't gone for long," Alfred said, coming over and whisking the empty bowl and fork away. Nico had even eaten the cantaloupe and dew fruit.

"Me too Alfred, me too." Nico sighed, grabbing his duffle bag which he hadn't had time to set down.

"Good luck Master Nico," Alfred called as he moved out of the room and into his secret butler room.

Nico sighed and rose, heading over to the bathroom and changing into his suit again. At this point, he was wondering if should even bother changing out of his suit based on the number of times he had taken it off and put it back on again.

Nico pressed the buttons on the ring and let the helmet expand and fit over his head and pulled on his boots and gloves. Nico shut his eyes as he waited for the display and the settings to fully come on and calibrate.

Once they had Nico stared at his ring, he had no clue what he was going to do with it. The team certainly wouldn't want to see it, Nico didn't really want to deal with it. Nico sighed and just slipped it into his utility belt. It felt like it disappeared the moment it entered the belt.

"I'm leaving!" Nico yelled, hoping Alfred heard him. Nico received no response and shrugged it off.

Nico stepped into a shadow and willed himself to appear in the Batcave. Nico should probably find the actual entrance to the Batcave, it was getting impractical to shadow-travel down there.

Nico stepped out of the shadows and headed straight towards the zeta-tubes. Nico's hands hovered over the keypad; he wasn't sure he remembered the code Dick had given him. And the more Nico tried to remember the more he thought about all the gaps he hadn't thought about.

How were they even going to know it was him?

Were they even back at Mount Justice?

Had they decided to go on with the mission?

They would be back after a day right?

Did they stop missions when one of them got injured?

How would they treat Nightwing's wounds?

Artemis' weapon had been broken; did they have backups?

What was that gods dam code!?

Nico grumbled under his breath as he jabbed his gloved fingers at the keys, hoping that his fingers would somehow have a sort of muscle memory of a code he had never typed in before.

Maybe it was Nico's demigoddess or maybe it was just because Nico secretly had some sort of photographic memory, but he nearly screamed as the zeta-tube fired up with a cool, robotic voice saying.

'To Mount Justice.'

Nico groaned and made a nasty face at the zeta-tube. He really didn't want to do this. But also needed to face the consequences of his actions.

Nico stepped into the zeta-tube and braced himself for the feeling of being pulled apart cell by cell.

Nico's body was reassembled on the other side of the zeta-beam, or was it a portal? Teleportation light? A zeta-tunnel? Nico had no clue what it was called.