Chapter 4

I don't know what the hell happened yesterday, but Mrs. Snuggerlug better not blame me for the death of Cilify.

After completing my last task of the day, which was helping the village clean up the mess in the bank from yesterday, I began to head back home.

I think I was kind enough, can I get a break now?

It would have made sense to walk over to Bella's cabin, where everyone else in my family was, but I decided to head to bed early.

I rolled into bed and tucked myself under the covers. I was so comfortable that I began giggling to myself the same way a girl would after receiving a dried-up ladybug in a glass jar.

Even through my shut eyelids, I could notice my entire surroundings begin to glow white and blue. I opened my eyes and climbed out of bed. A blue, translucent mist formed over my head.

"You traitor!" The voice echoed out.

I put my hands up, getting ready to use my wind since it can come into contact with ghosts, and clearly, this is what that was.

"You were supposed to assist me in robbing all the gold!" The voice of Cilify cried out. "I am going to fucking haunt you for all your days!"

"Oh hell no!" I shouted, making a gust of wind push him back.

His ghost figure began to morph into uncanny faces and figures. He then began charging at me. "Traitor! I had to lose my life because of you!"

I dodged his attack. "It was your idea, asstwat!"

Cilify attempted to charge at me again, this time with an uncanny face that made his eyes bleed out and his mouth stretch wide open. "You could have stopped me!"

"Back up!" I tumbled and used more wind to push him away. My ability wasn't working the way it normally should.

Cilify released a deafening scream and lunged toward me.

His spirit had me cornered, and I held my hand up to keep him away. He attempted to take hold of me when suddenly a portal opened and swooped his spirit right up.

The portal spun around for a moment before closing and completely vanishing.

What? I can overflow the room with thousands of questions right now! How was it my fault? And where did this portal come from?

I'm very aware of the fact that I have a cousin with the ability to open portals, but she wouldn't do that for me! She's a petty little twelve-year-old who can't stand my guts!

Again, I'm going over to Malia's place. I can't bear to be alone right now.

༄༄ ༄ ༄༄ ༄

It's been a little while since I was stuck in that weird kindness group. I told my mother that staying there made me feel schizophrenic, and she believed me for some odd reason.

Also, having Bella and Malia lie about seeing me speak to myself helped out tremendously.

It's true, though. When I come into contact with ghosts, to other people it looks as if I'm speaking to myself.

Bella, Malia, and I were strolling around the village, bored as always. Only because we weren't harassing some other kids.

I looked around the village and was randomly reminded of those orphans. "If I ever see those stupid orphans that caused me to go through two weeks of 'Cocotown kindness' hell ever again, I'm going to throw ropes tied in noose knots at them and tell them to hang theirselves—"

"Oh my gosh, Maciel, haven't you learnt anything from being there though?" Bella groaned, and rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, really!" Malia snapped. "Just stop talking! We don't want you getting sent back to that place!"

I tuned them out as I heard some newspaper boy call out "Today's news! Today's new's! Read all about it!"

Bella, Malia, and I approached the boy, and I said, "Wow, you're loud as shit."

The boy threw the paper at my head, causing Bella and Malia to giggle.

Malia grinned at Bella. "Can I read it this time—"

Bella snatched the paper off of the ground and began to read aloud, "Susana Snuggerlug, a well-known woman who had ties with the notorious town kindness group, has been detained for the unlawful killing of her former mate. Despite her vehement claims of innocence, extensive evidence was dug up during the investigation that contradicted her statement, thereby resulting in her eventual conviction. Moreover, as a consequence of this heinous crime, the establishment of the kindness group will discontinue."

Malia and I slowly turned toward each other as Bella slowly folded the paper up and stuffed it in her... hair?

"It's like everywhere you go, Maciel, you end up causing the place to have to shut down or something!" Malia joked, slapping my shoulder.

"Wow, that's the last thing I was expecting to hear!" I stared out into space. "I wish something tragic happened to those orphaned kids, though."

"Already happened," Bella noted, "they're orphans."

I began to snicker. "Haha, right! They're already failures in life—"

Malia slapped the back of my head. "Knock that off!"

"Yeah, not cool, Maciel!" Bella mocked and began walking in another direction. "Let's go explore that strange cave we saw earlier!"

"Finally! Adventure!" Malia cheered, doing a flip mid-air.

I didn't really do much to get myself out of that kindness group, but I guess it would have been put to an end anyway.

Maybe I'll start being a little more kind.

I'll begin that journey after I get married!