Chapter 2

"So basically, I have to meet up with a group of other ill-mannered village kids and do some stupid act of kindness," I explained to Bella and Malia.

"And this will be everyday...?" Malia questioned, slightly tilting her head.

"I guess!" I shouted, throwing my hands up. "Just because these stupid kids got mad at me for hanging outside of their store!"

"Damn, Maciel," Bella teased, "maybe you should have held back on being an asshole."

"I—I didn't even fucking do anything, Bella!" I chided, emphasizing her name.

"Well, you did," Malia corrected. "Now you have to meet up with this kindness group everyday instead of being able to chill with us."

"Oh whatever," I swatted my hand. "At least I'm not being sent away to a kingdom five hours away like last time. You guys can visit me, and I'll still be able to come home at night!"

They both turned to each other and burst out laughing.

"Do we look like we wanna fucking visit you there, Maciel?" Bella joked, continuing to laugh. "You're on your own here, buddy."

"You need to start thinking before you speak so you don't get yourself caught up in these situations," Malia advised, laughing along with Bella. "You're so nice to me when we hangout alone, why is that?"

"Because I actually like you, Malia!" I answered, rolling my eyes.

At this point, my eyes might just get stuck in the state of being rolled. I can't take this crap anymore!

Malia paused. "Wait, you like me?"

Bella stopped laughing and whispered into Malia's ear. "He meant as a friend, dumbass."

Malia's shoulders slouched. "Oh, I got excited for a second."

What? I'm so lost right now.

"Maciel!" I heard my mother call out as she walked away from the group of my aunts and uncles. "Let's head on to the village now, your first kindness meeting is today."

"What? You didn't think to wait and give me another chance? That whole thing was only yesterday!" I argued.

"And your words will stick to those kids forever, even if it was yesterday," my mother sneered.

I turned around to wave goodbye to Bella and Malia. "Bye guys! Save me some dinner, please!"

"We might, if you're not held hostage there all night!" Bella teased and began to laugh along with Malia.

I'll be laughing the same way when I come back later and find out that they both choked on their molded dinner due to giggling so much. Damn circus monkeys!

Me and my mother strolled through the village until we finally arrived to our destination.

She led me to a tiny, ramshackle building that resembled more of a child's construction project, where only plastic nails and building blocks could've been used. The drab wood was painted in chipped strokes of red, white, and blue and had creepy smiley faces slapped all around.
The building was also surrounded by a fence that held a handful of livestock animals, including pigs and goats.

"You're-you're seriously going to leave me here for ten hours a day?" I looked up at my mom in utter disbelief. "I can already tell they dismember children here and sew their limbs onto rag dolls."

"Well, maybe that will get you to shut up for once, am I right?" My mother said, with no expression on her gloomy face.

"So, how long is this gonna go on for?" I asked, looking around the outside of the building.