Chapter 69: Kuma the Warlord

Start from the beginning

I wanted to curl up and shut my eyes and not have to open them again. None of this was real. I didn't want any of this to be real. I'm losing the people I love again one by one right in front of me and I don't have the strength to do anything about it. 

I'm pathetic

I'm weak

I'm scared. 

My brain, overstimulated with how much was happening, went to the one thing that brought me security the most, the one thing that has always brought me comfort. 

Mom.

I hadn't noticed, but at this point tears were streaming down my cheeks and I had no control over my body anymore.

Mom, I'm scared. 

Usopp began throwing attacks at the Warlord. It didn't matter what they were, he desperately tried to save his own life as he yelled at the Warlord to get away. The boy crawled backwards as he did this, fighting and screaming for his life. Luffy yelling from the top of his lungs a few feet away from me, his voice cracking from the pure fear bubbling up inside him. Then, Usopp was gone

Make it stop. 

Sanji's screams fill my ears and I almost wish that I didn't have to hear such pain come from him, but once they immediately stopped I realized they were better than the silence that came from his absence. 

Please. Not them. Anyone, but them. Not the people who brought happiness and peace into my life. 

Despite my begging, the space that Franky once filled was empty. And with Nami's blood curdling scream, one more friend was gone

Like dominoes, the Warlord was picking us off easily. Gone. Gone. Gone. It didn't matter how desperate we were. It didn't matter how much we cried and yelled. It didn't matter how much Luffy fought and fought. One by one. Crew-mate after crew-mate. Friend after friend. 

Chopper was gone. 

Robin was gone. 

The tears had stopped, the previous ones drying on my cheeks as it leaves a mark and I sit there with empty eyes, not wanting to think about anything anymore. My mind and body had shut down. I paid no attention to the heavy thumping that slowly approached me. 

***

Luffy froze. His hand touching the place that Robin was just at. He fell to his knees. He didn't know what to do. He hadn't felt this helpless in his life. What kind of a fucking captain was he? What kind of a friend? He let all of his crew-mates completely disappear in front of him and he couldn't do a fucking thing. 

All of his crew-mates.

All of them? 

The captain felt as if his heart had stopped beating when he realized who was left. He heard the loud footsteps of the Warlord behind him and when he turned his head slowly to look at his last remaining crew-mate, he felt everything in his body go on overdrive. 

You sat there, looking at the space in front of you, your mouth slightly open and your eyes dull and dark. He's never seen you with such an expression. Your body looked limp, like it had no strength in you. 

He scrambled up, dirt getting on his skin and underneath his nails before he ran towards you. He tried calling your name, but there was no response. It was like you couldn't hear him at all. 

Luffy had never felt so desperate and terrified in his life. For a moment he forgot about the rest of the crew and just thought that if he couldn't save the rest of them maybe he could save you. He needed to save you. He had to. He would never forgive himself if he didn't. You meant so much to him and he owed you for all those times you were there for him. For all those times that you reassured him and held him and paid attention to him when no one else had the patience to. How could he lose that? How could he lose you?