Chapter 10: Feelings Arise

Ace sat down next to me after Vivi had left for the tents as well and their conversation was over. "What were you and Nami talking about?"

I didn't look at him, for some reason still salty about earlier, not that it was his fault. "What were you and Vivi talking about?"

"Luffy."

When I turned to look at him, he also had his gaze on the fire and I could tell he wasn't lying. A wave of guilt washed over me as I looked at the reflection of the fire in his charcoal eyes. A sigh escaped my lips as I matched his gaze, also looking at the fire. "We were talking about you."

I watched from the corner of my eye as he perked up at the sound of this, before turning to me. "What about me?"

I hummed thoughtfully before turning to him with a teasing smile. "About how cute you and Vivi looked earlier."

His eyebrows furrowed in surprise as he leaned back, he seemed to watch me for a second before chuckling. "Really? You agreed with her?"

I shrugged my shoulders, my eyes moving to the fire once again. "You seemed like you were enjoying yourself."

"I was."

My hand twitched at this response as I screamed at myself to not react. Before I could tease him about his little 'crush' he spoke once more.

"But not as much as I do with you."

Once again the man regained his hold on me. I scoffed, trying to play off the heat rushing to my ears. "Okay, Casanova."

Ace laughed at the nickname before motioning toward the cook that was sleeping a few feet away from us. "Hey, don't compare me to him."

"Whatever." That was all he got in return as I rolled my eyes and hugged myself, wishing that it wasn't so cold.

Ace took notice of this and scooted closer to me, our sides now touching as he threw his arm around me. I looked at him suspiciously which he just laughed at before pulling me closer. "You're cold, right? And we both know you can't sleep without me."

I glared at him as he winked playfully, but the male was right. I've always had a sleeping problem, but it wasn't a problem if he was there. Something about the warmth and the comfort he gave me just put me asleep so fast. Giving in, I rested my head on his shoulder with a sigh, watching the flames from the fire dance in front of us.

A nice comforting silence filled the air and I wasn't as cold anymore. It seemed like such a perfect scene. Him being here with me, fire giving us warmth and light, and the stars above our head allowing a beautiful view to gaze at.

"I really did want to come visit you," Ace spoke as I felt his body vibrate along with his voice. "I swear I didn't forget about you."

I scoffed at the male's attempt to make me feel better, but there were things that I did that I knew upset him as well so I couldn't say anything. I decided not to respond and let his words hang in the air as I continued to stare at the flames.

"I could never forget about you."

The words Ace spoke registered in my mind and then they replayed over and over again. That same warm feeling was present in my chest, the one I hated the most. "You'll be leaving once we get to Yuba right?" I spoke with caution, trying to change the subject, not wanting to give myself false hope.

He hummed in confirmation, probably nodding, though I couldn't see.

"Where will you go after?"

"Probably back to my crew," Ace replied, his tone making it sound like he wanted to say something, but decided against it. "Whether Blackbeard is here or not, I need to report back to my crew."