CHAPTER 1-2: Classroom of the D-lite

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." - Jules Romains

-----

POV: Riku

After a few adventures, Ishigami and I finally managed to reach our classroom, 1-D. At last, after all that, I could take a moment to breathe and truly start my new life here, alongside the very first friend I had made, Ishigami. Sure, he seems a bit reserved and melancholic, but deep down, he's really a good person! I will take pleasure in helping him open up a bit more, yes, that's decided, it will be one of my many goals here! I will probably have a whole list, but for the moment, this one is at the top!

So here we are, arrived in front of our classroom, just the two of us, and when I opened the door, I discovered a very modern room, much more so than what most schools can offer... Not that I really have a precise idea of all the classrooms in Japan, obviously.

Riku: And here we are, this is our class! I'm curious to meet my new classmates, I'm sure they'll be really nice!

Ishigami: He looked at me with an expressionless face before saying, You seem like the sociable type, like the popular guy, is that it?

Riku: Haha, well, popular, I don't really know about that, I wouldn't say that... I just do my best to be nice to everyone, you know.

Ishigami: Well, that's something, you're not the pretentious type who brags by indirectly boasting about being popular!

I didn't fully grasp what he meant by that, but... To me, it all just seems natural, an attitude that everyone should adopt towards each other. Empathy is becoming rare these days, and it's truly sad... People are becoming more self-centered, losing awareness of the world and the people around them, seeing only their own little universe and their desires... Fortunately, there are always exceptions, right?

As we entered the classroom, just the two of us, and I carefully observed the environment and the other students already there, engaged in conversation, my gaze stopped on a person I immediately recognized... A rather unfortunate coincidence, it was that arrogant guy from the bus. Kōenji, if I'm not mistaken? Yes, that self-absorbed guy, who completely lacks respect for others, the very embodiment of the type of person I despise: arrogant, selfish, and deeply narcissistic, seeing only himself. At his sight, I let out a sigh, which seemed to catch Ishigami's attention, who followed my gaze to see Kōenji. He, noticing that we were staring at him, simply wore a smug smile, comfortably seated with his arms and legs crossed, leaning against the back of his chair.

Kōenji: Ah, if it isn't our dear <samaritan-boy> from earlier? So, shocked to find me here? Oh, it must be a real shock to find yourself in the same class as someone as perfect as me, right? Ah ha ha ha!

This sight seemed to slightly irritate Ishigami, whose expression became more marked, betraying a certain weariness.

Ishigami: Ah! Seriously, did we really have to end up in the same class as that unbearable guy from the bus!

Riku: Well, let's just ignore him, huh... Let's take our seats, I think the teacher won't be long.

Ishigami: Yeah, he probably doesn't deserve our time anyway.