Chapter Nineteen: Sheets

(Soda's POV)

I couldn't believe it. Sandy, the girl I loved, was gone. She didn't even tell me she was leaving. I found out she was pregnant with someone else's baby, and she just took off to Florida without a word. My heart shattered into a million pieces.

Feeling lost and betrayed, I needed someone to talk to. Buck Merril's place was where I knew Dallas usually hung out. I needed to find him. I needed to vent. My footsteps felt heavy as I made my way to Buck's house, my mind swirling with thoughts of Sandy and the baby that wasn't mine.

When I got to Buck's, I found Dallas sprawled out on the couch, flipping through a magazine (I didn't know he read) like he didn't have a care in the world.

"Dallas," I said, my voice trembling with emotion, "I gotta talk to you, man."

Dallas looked up, his eyes meeting mine. He could tell something was wrong just by the look on my face.

"What's up, Soda?" he asked, patting the space next to him on the couch.

I sank down onto the couch beside him, feeling the weight of the world pressing down on my shoulders.

"It's Sandy," I choked out, my voice thick with emotion. "She's gone, Dallas. And she's pregnant with someone else's baby."

Dallas's expression softened as he listened to me pour out my heartache. He didn't say much, but he didn't need to. Just having him there, listening to me, made me feel a little less alone in the world.

As the night wore on, I found myself leaning closer to Dallas, seeking calm in his presence. Before I knew it, we were snuggled up together on the couch, the warmth of his body offering me some measure of comfort in the midst of my pain.

"You got a cancer stick, Dal?" I asked quietly.

"No. I'm not giving you a cigarette."

"Dally... please..." I whined.

I leaned into Dallas a bit more. My lips were inches from his neck. But Dallas grabbed my chin before I could get any closer.

"Soda." He said with a stern tone, "I'm not sleeping with you so you're even with Sandy."

"I'm not doing that Dally, can't I love you?"

I started playing with his hair, it was softer than I thought it would be. I placed my hand on Dallas' thigh and I kissed his cheek.

"Soda, stop. You're only actin' like this cause you're upset."

"Am I?" I teased.

I scooted over to Dallas, now I was on his lap cradling his body between my legs. Dallas looked confused, but he didn't push me off of him. I wrapped my arms around Dallas' neck and kissed him with a purpose.

Dallas still didn't push me away. He straightened his posture as he sat up. I felt his hands rest on my hips as he squeezed gently. Dallas pulled away and stared at me like I was a completely different person.

***

I woke up with a pounding headache, wondering where I was. The room was unfamiliar, and it took me a moment to remember how I ended up here. The events from last night slowly came back to me. We had been at Buck's place, Dallas and me, just trying to have a good time.

"Morning, Sleepin' Beauty," Dallas smirked as he walked into the room. He had a cup of coffee in his hand.

I rubbed my temples, trying to make sense of everything. "Dallas, where are we?"

"In my place, buddy. You crashed out hard last night. Figured it's better you sleep it off here than on the streets."

I looked around, realizing I was in Dallas' bed. "Wait, why am I in your bed?"

Dallas chuckled with a large grin, "Don't worry, you'll feel it soon." He winked at me.

My face went hot, and I hid under the blanket.

"You were great last night." I heard Dallas say while under the blanket.

I nodded, pieces of the night falling into place. It only made my face go even hotter. "Yeah, I remember now..."

"It's alright, buddy. I made sure you were quiet." Dallas said, clapping me on the back.

"Don't say it like that!!" I yelled out.

Dallas was acting like this was a normal thing, and he shrugged. "How else am I supposed to say it?"

I sighed and wrapped myself up with the bed sheet. I sat up and stepped down from the bed. I stood up and stumbled forward, leaning against the wall. I realized what Dallas was talking about now. Everything hurt.

"You couldn't have been gentle..." I muttered under my breath.

Dallas laughed, "sorry, sweetheart."

I rolled my eyes, no he wasn't. I bet he was getting a kick out of this. Dallas walked over to me and lifted me up off the wall. One arm was under my back and the other held up my legs. He carried me back to the bed and he patted me on the head.

"Stay here, I'll go get you breakfast." He said calmly (like I could go anywhere).