Chapter Ten: You & Me

(Dally's POV)

I glance around the quiet street, the dimly lit houses standing like silent sentinels against the dark sky. It's times like these, moments of stillness amidst the chaos of our lives, that I treasure the most. The rumble of the car engine, the taste of smoke on my tongue.

Buck's Thunderbird is a beauty, sleek and powerful, just like him. He may not be a Soc, but he's got class, and he knows how to live on the edge. I take a drag of my cancer stick, feeling the smoke coursing through my veins.

The memories flood back, memories of fights and laughter, of friendships forged in the fires of hardship. The gang, my brothers, they're everything to me. And in moments like this, I can almost forget the weight of the world pressing down on my shoulders.

But the world always finds a way to intrude, to remind us of our place in the grand scheme of things. The rumble of distant thunder reminds me that storms are always on the horizon, ready to break upon us with all their fury.

I flick the ash from my cigarette, watching it dance in the wind before fading into nothingness. For now, though, I'll savor this moment of peace, this brief respite from the chaos that defines my life. And when the sun rises, we'll face whatever comes our way,

Perched on the hood of my car, the night thick with tension, I saw Sodapop Curtis approaching, his carefree demeanor slightly shaken. He wasn't wearing my jacket this time. Knowing him, he'd probably never give it back.

"Hey, Dallas," Soda kicked at the gravel beneath his boots. "Mind if I join you?"

I nodded, my eyes fixed on the distant stars. An unspoken understanding settled between us as Soda took a seat, and the quiet night enveloped us in contemplative silence.

After a moment, Soda's deep breath carried the weight of something heavy. "Dallas, there's something I need to tell you. It's been on my mind for a while now."

I turned my head slightly, meeting Soda's eyes. "Spill it, Curtis."

Soda hesitated, his gaze dropping to the ground. "I... I think I love you, Dallas."

Unexpected emotions surged through me. Sodapop, my friend, a guy I had grown close to, just confessed his feelings. I wasn't sure how to respond.

"Soda, you know I ain't good at this kind of stuff," I mumbled, running a hand through my disheveled hair. "You got Sandy, and I ain't the type for all that lovey-dovey crap."

Soda's eyes were earnest, a vulnerability that tugged at something inside me. "I care about Sandy, but it's different with you, Dallas. I can't help how I feel."

I sighed, torn between conflicting emotions. "Look, Soda, you deserve better than me. I'm a messed-up guy with too many demons. You deserve someone who can give you the love and stability you need."

Soda reached out, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Dallas, you're not as bad as you think. You're worth more than you give yourself credit for."

I shrugged off Soda's touch, my eyes distant. "I appreciate the sentiment, Soda, but it's best if you forget about this. I ain't the one for you."

Soda looked defeated, nodding. "Alright, Dallas. If that's what you think."

As Sodapop got up to leave, regret settled in my chest. I watched him walk away, grappling with the realization that I might have just pushed away someone who genuinely cared.

***

The night air hung heavy with the weight of Soda's confession. I couldn't shake the feeling of unease gnawing at me as I watched him disappear into the darkness. His words echoed in my mind, stirring up emotions I wasn't ready to confront.

I lit another cigarette, the flame casting flickering shadows across the deserted street. Smoke curled lazily into the air, mingling with the silence that enveloped me. I couldn't deny the truth in Soda's words, the way his sincerity had pierced through the walls I'd built around myself.

But love wasn't something I understood, not in the conventional sense. It was messy, complicated, and it always seemed to slip through my fingers like sand. I couldn't bear the thought of dragging Soda down with me, of tainting his innocence with my own darkness.

As I crushed the cigarette beneath my boot, a sense of resignation settled over me. Maybe it was easier this way, to maintain the distance and keep the demons at bay. But deep down, a part of me longed for the warmth of Soda's affection, for a connection that transcended the boundaries I'd erected.

I revved the engine of my car, the sound cutting through the stillness of the night. As I drove into the darkness, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was leaving something behind, something I might never be able to reclaim. But for now, it was easier to lose myself in the roar of the engine than to confront the tangled mess of emotions that threatened to consume me.