Chapter 27: Swing 🍋

You anxiously paced around the living room of your shared house with Wanda. She was en route back after dropping the boys off at Vision's for the weekend. The quiet hour you had to yourself was spent setting up the latest in a long line of birthday gifts for your girlfriend. It was your way of making up for all the ones her ex had forgotten: how anyone could ignore Wanda on her birthday was incomprehensible. She insisted that you didn't need to spoil her, arguing that you didn't need to make up for Vision's shortcomings. You ignored her. It was the first time in your life you had a woman to spoil and you were planning on taking full advantage of that.

The gifts started small: cooking her favorite dinner on Monday for no reason, surprising her with her favorite flowers on Tuesday, the new end table she'd been talking about for months on Wednesday, and a long after dinner massage on Thursday. Wanda wasn't used to such thoughtful displays of kindness. Yet you were determined to make sure she had the best birthday yet, which is why you saved the best for last. This was the present you knew she wouldn't be expecting at all. It's the one she mentioned in passing once not realizing how you'd cling onto it for the last few months. It was the most expensive of the gifts. And it was the most...scandalous...of the gifts.

The sound of the front door unlocking snapped you back to reality. Your heart pounded in your throat, threatening to explode out of your body entirely as seconds turned to minutes turned to hours as you waited for Wanda to walk down the hallway.

"Virginia's over for the weekend. She brought the kids with her, too. I know Billy gets along with Vin well enough, but Tommy really doesn't care for him or Viv. And I don't understand why the V names. Could they not come up with anything else?" Wanda frequently voiced her disdain for her ex-husband's new girlfriend and her kids. While you knew that she was happy and secure in your relationship, you also knew that the topic of her failed marriage was a sore subject.

"The boys'll be fine, Wands. It's just for the weekend."

"I know."

"They've gotta get used to being around Virginia and the kids."

"I know."

"That means we have the weekend to ourselves."

"I know," Wanda smirked.

"I have a present for you."

"Y/N, no. You've already gotten-"

"It's downstairs."

Wanda's mouth snapped shut abruptly as she looked at you, a curious expression painted on her face.

"Follow me?" you asked as you offered her your hand. You smirked knowingly as Wanda sighed, dropping her hands into your outstretched one.

"You know, you don't have to spoil me like this just because it's my birthday. Really, it's okay."

"I want to make up for all those ones that Vision missed or forgot or whatever...plus this one is for both of us."

"What do you mean-oh." Wanda's eyes widened as she stared at the hanging mess of nylon and leather straps hanging from the heavy bag hook on the ceiling. "Oh my god."

"You like it?" you chuckled, giving Wanda's hand a slight squeeze.

"Oh my god," she repeated. You felt her hand slip from yours as she carefully made her way over to the middle of the room. Wanda brushed a strand of hair behind her ear as she eyed the set-up with a keen sense of curiosity.

"Now if you really don't want another gift, I can always take it back," you teased, cheekily shoving your hands in your pockets, watching Wanda stare awestruck at the swing in the middle of the room.