Old friends

ʕ⁠ ⁠ꈍ⁠ᴥ⁠ꈍ⁠ʔ

Shaira was in her office. She had not been sleeping a wink these days. Her insomnia had taken the worst direction. She rubbed her face with her hands.

Today they were expecting a call from the Lawrence firm for the confirmation of the case. Shaira rarely felt so much of emotions. She was sure that they would definitely take up her case but anxiety doesn't left her.

Diaz was the best person to run her case. He was the best in his field. Shaira had never seen him losing a case till now. She knew everything has been changed. It was her decision to not go back ever again.

She was too hurt and afraid to do that. She never believed that childhood of a child affects her adulthood until she saw herself.

She shook her head. She had made the decision might as well not second guess it. This was not her style.

Shaira eyes swept on the door as she heard a knock.

"Mam, we got the call."

Christina said as she invited herself in the office. Christina was everything that Shaira wanted in her assistant. She was deligent, easy to talk, hardworking and most importantly never questioned her.

Christina's eyes show spark after that day. She pulled out a file.

"Mr. Daniel Lawrence had personally taken up your case. We need to fly down Milan to confirm the contract."

Shaira's heart thumped as she heard her old bestfriend's name. She needed to go to Milan. She needed to go to that dreaded place.

"When we need to go there?"

"As soon as.. today. The flight is of six hours. We could reach before seven in evening there. The jet is ready."

Shaira nodded at her secretary. She needed to do it.

"We will board in two hours."

Christina nodded as she exited the office.

....

Shaira's eyes blurred as she sat on the airplane seat. She hated it. She hated going back there. She was afraid that everything she thought, she was over would haunt her again.

She wiped her eyes as she crunched the expensive material of the dress. After all she had to do this to save everything she has now.

As soon as the her jet landed. She could feel the cold. The same winter she had faced last time when she was here. She covered her body with her overcoat as she slide into her car with Christina following behind.

"I have booked the suite for you in the nearby hotel. If you want, we could go there-"

"No. Miss Christina, I want to hire them as soon as possible. We will first go in the Lawrence firm."

Shaira looked exhausted. She was non stop working. Her schedule was not free before but now this fucking problem had taken all of her time.

She exit the car gracefully as she reached the office. The first person whom she met was Diaz. The person who supported her in every ups and downs.

Diaz was standing there in a crisp suit with a lonesome expression. His eyes widen as they met with Shaira. On the other hand, Shaira hands were cold and the thousand of emotions were creating a turmoil in her. She still passed a soft smile which made him crack a smile too.

Diaz had seen Shaira all over the internet but in reality, she was looking more ethereal. Her eyes seemed bright as she waved towards him. Diaz instantly remembered her being small and waving at him when he came back from school. It seemed like something's never changed.