Chapter 29: I Will Teach You To Be Rich And Snobby.

Start from the beginning

I had been living with the Smiths for all of summer and it was the best two months of my life. I didn't have to worry about my Mom calling their house insisting that I come home when she was sober and hateful cause she needed more drugs. They did take me up to the rehab center to see her however after the second time when she was hateful and told me I was a demon I asked to not go again.

At the end of two months her car came rolling up their drive, when I was in the field riding Starbuck. "Kat come here." Pa hollered from where he was leaning on the fence watching me. I trotted Starbuck to him and dismounted her. The entire time he never took his eyes of the old sliver 1990 Toyota Camry. "Tie Starbuck up to the fence then run inside and get your Momma." He said glancing at me for a split second to see if I understood. I nod quickly tying the horse up and running up to the house to get Momma.

I swing the front door open and yelled "Momma!" As I felt the anxiety and fear start to slip in. Momma came running out of the kitchen looking straight at me, concern written all over her face. Her pale blue eyes scanning every part of my body looking for any injuries.

"What is it baby? Are you okay?" She asked grabbing my hands still searching for something. I stood there for a minute looking at her thinking about how I wished she was my actual Mom and not the woman that was pulling up the driveway. The thought froze me in place as I imagined what life would be like. Although I was around them a lot and more often than not they took care of me the fact that for two months I didn't have to leave made me want to stay even more. My body tensed up as I thought about how the person coming up the drive was probably going to take me away from my piece of heaven and pull me back to hell. That was the thought that sent me over board. Without warning the tears started to fall and I became hysterical.

Momma pulled me into a hug and squeezed me. "Baby everything is okay." She tried to sooth me. She pulled back putting her hands on my arms, squatted down and looked at my face. "What's wrong Kat? I can't help unless you tell me what's wrong."

"Mm-m-m-my m-m-mo-mother is -h-h-here." I managed to get out as I sobbed crying harder. I felt Momma tense up as her face turned sour for a split second but then it disappeared. She smiled at me, "Everything is going to be okay love." She wiped my tears away with her hand. "Let's get your faced washed up and then we will go outside together. Okay?"

I nod and she took me to the kitchen picking me up and sitting me on the counter. She got a wash rag and got it wet. She then handed me a paper towel and told me to blow my nose. Next she took the wet rag and wiped my face with it. Once done she grabbed three water bottles out of the fridge and handed one to me. "Okay love ready to go out there?" I nodded and she grabs my hand and we walk outside.

Pa and my Mom were standing by her car talking when we walked out. They both looked up when the heard the screen door shut. I looked over to the barn to see the twins peaking out giving me a sad look. Momma handed Pa a water and offered the other to my Momma.

"Hey Kat why don't you go get Starbuck and put her away. Your Mom, Laura and I need to talk for a minute." Pa gave me a narrow look as if to say don't question it and do what he said.

"Yes sir." I replied and hurried off. I got Starbuck and took her to the barn.

"What is she doing here?" Jaz asked and I shrugged.

"Will you have to go back with her?" Jase asked and I shrugged again. They didn't say anything else and just helped me untack Starbuck. Once we were done we all sat in the hay loft and the twins talked about the rodeo we just got back from, while I sat there thinking about what was going to happen.

It wasn't long before Pa was yelling for me and I made my way to the front porch where the three of them were.

"Katherine your mother is here to talk to you. Laura and I will be right in the house if you need us okay?" Pa had squatted down and got eye level with me searching my face to gage my emotions.