Chapter 5: What Happened to Her?

I don't know how long I was asleep but I was woken up by someone picking me up. I figured it was Pa but when I snuggled into the persons chest the cologne didn't match and I felt the panic run throw me. I quickly shifted causing him to lose hold of me as I flow out of his arms. I quickly hit the floor moving to the wall that was the closest to me curling up in the fetal position feeling the air fill my lungs as if it was fire.

     "Shit!" I heard being mumbled as someone grabs my hand pulling it to his chest. "Kat it's me Bruce. Match my breaths, come on baby girl you got this. Deep slow breaths."

     Bruce it was, Bruce my brother. He had done nothing to hurt me ever. I just needed to breathe. Just match his breaths, is what I keep saying over and over on my head. As my breathing steadied so did my tears, turning from sobs to whimpers. "Bruce, it's just Bruce." I mumbled. "It's not him, it's your brother Bruce."

     "That's right baby it's just me. You're okay I got you!" He squeezed my hand that was still resting on his chest. I could feel his steady breathing and his heart beat. "I promise no one will ever hurt you. We will protect you." He said in a stern but loving voice making me realize what he said was true. "Can I pick you up off the floor now?" His voice was back to gentle and soft. I nodded and he picked me up and I wrapped my arms around his neck baring my face from the world.

     I figured he would carry me into Jasmine's room however he plopped me down in the couch next to Momma who was cuddled into Pa.

     "What's going on?" Momma asked looking at Bruce and then at me. "Are you okay sweetie?"

     "I am going to get Ben we all need to talk." Bruce said back to his stern tone walking towards Ben room.

     It wasn't long before they both came back into the room and sat down.

     "Okay we need to know what's going on. She just had a panic attack cause I was carrying her to bed." Bruce said looking at Pa then Momma and then everyone's eyes landed on me.

     "Maybe we should talk to you all. Let Kat go to bed." Pa gave them a soft smile. The boys looked at each other as if they were having a conversation with each other. Ben finally looked at Pa and nodded. "Kat hun you go to bed okay? If you need anything you know our door is always open."

     I nodded getting up. "Okay night. Love you." I say hugging Momma and Pa and then to everyone's shock hugging Ben and Bruce.

     I headed towards the stairs but stoping and sitting at the bottom where no one could see. After a minute they started to talk.

     "Did they tell you how your Mother died?" Pa asked.

     "No, just that she had passed. To be honest I didn't care about that part. I was more focused on getting to Kat and asking questions about her." Ben admitted.

      "Your mother was murdered. Then man that she was with stabbed her to death and Kat was home when it happened. This man has always been awful, him and your Mother abused Kat. We keep trying to get her taken away but some how they always managed to slip under the radar. Kat has always had panic attacks but todays was one of the bad ones that we don't see often. I guess seeing her Mom caused her to pull the emotions up that she pushed down the past couple of days." Pa sighed sounding sad and broken which was not normal at all for him.

     It was so quiet for what seemed like forever as the tears fell down my face. I couldn't listen to anymore. I got up and went upstairs. I slide into Jasmines room and climbed into bed quietly crying myself to sleep.