The race

EXT MOS ESPA - ARENA - MAIN HANGER - DAY

Race Crews mill about outside the Main Hanger.

INT MOS ESPA - ARENA - MAIN HANGER - DAY

The hanger is a large building with a dozen or so Podracers being readied for the race. Alien crews and Pilots rush about, making last minute fixes on their vehicles. WATTO, QUI-GON, and JAR JAR walk through the activity.

WATTO: "I wanta see your spaceship the moment the race is over."

QUI-GON: "Patience, my good friend. You'll have your winnings before the suns set, and we'll be far away from here."

WATTO: "Not if your ship belongs to me, I think... I warn you, no funny business."

QUI-GON: "You don't think Anakin will win?"

WATTO stops before an orange racer. Sitting to one side, having his shoulders and neck massaged by TWIN YOBANAS, is SEBULBA.

WATTO: "Don't get me wrongo. I have great faith in the boy. He's a credit to your race, but Sebulba there is going to win, I think."

WATTO flies over to where SEBULBA is getting a massage as JAR JAR's eyes bug out in shock.

JAR JAR: "Oh-no!"

QUI-GON: "Why do you think that?"

WATTO: "He always wins." He laughs. "I'm betting heavily on Sebulba."

QUI-GON: "I'll take that bet."

WATTO: He suddenly stops laughing. "You'll what??!!"

QUI-GON: "I'll wager my new racing pod against... say... the boy and his mother."

WATTO: No Pod's worth two slaves ... not by a long shot.

QUI-GON: "The boy, then"

WATTO thinks a bit as JAR JAR looks around.

WATTO: "We'll let fate decide, huh. I just happen to have a chance cube here. Blue it's the boy, red his mother..."

WATTO tosses the cube down. QUI-GON lifts his hand slightly; it turns blue. QUI-GON smiles. WATTO is angry.

WATTO: "You won the small toss, outlander, bou you won't win the race, so ... it makes little difference."

Anakin, Y/N and the sisters enter the hanger on one of the EOPIES, pulling an engine. KITSTER and Shmi, on the other EOPIE. With THREEPIO walking alongside, ARTOO trundles behind, pulling the Pod. WATTO flies off, laughing. He passes Anakin as he leaves.

WATTO: "Ouna bakeesa. Bonapa keesa pateeso, o wanna meetee chobodd." (Better stop your friends betting or I'll end up owning him too.)

Anakin: "What'd he mean by that?"

QUI-GON: "I'll tell you later. Goodmorning."

QUI-GON walks over to where Shmi is seated on the EOPIE and helps her down.

ARTOO beeps at THREEPIO.

THREEPIO: "Oh my! Space travel sounds rather perilous."

ARTOO emits a series of beeps.

THREEPIO: "I can assure you they will never get me onto one of those dreadful starships!"

KITSTER: Turns to Anankin. "This is so wizard Ani! I'm sure you'll do it this time."

Hermione: "Do what?"

KITSTER: "Finish the race, of course!"

Y/N: "You've never won a race?"