Chapter Twenty-Six

Hezekiah's POV

Palace of Glass and Gold...

"Dearly beloved, we have come to bless the union of two destined soulmates, both of them unwanted on Earth and yet found each other when naysayers all but demanded to keep them apart," God began as we took our places- the girls at my right serving as my groomsmaids while Alvin and Damon served as groomsmen for Chance. "For these two spirits, the bond that they share transcends even into death as they've been good friends on Earth. Love for them means transcending boundaries, defying odds, and when to let go for the sake of one's happiness.

"They say that love is too complex of an emotion for anyone to comprehend. Some limit the feeling down to meaningless coupling. Others say that it's meant for brotherly bonding and sharing relationships with family and friends. But the true definition of love is the one that is truly unconditional- the kind that my son died on the cross for so others can know who he is and what I stand for. Love is never meant to be misconstrued, abused, or tossed to the side like some unwanted toy. Love is meant to be enjoyed freely, flowing deep like the rivers and available for all to share across all nations. It has no limits, no bylaws, no reasons. It's so much more than what people imagine for it to be. If people can share this kind of love while losing their inhibitions, imagine what a world it can be."

God turned his attention to me as Lucifer brought forward the wedding bands that would join my and Chance's engagement rings. "Gentlemen, these rings that I present unto you will be symbols for your everlasting bond that has been blessed by my hands," he said. "Take these rings not just as a way to protect yourselves from unwarranted people, but also as a proclamation of who you are as each other's mates and yourselves as kindreds."

Chance stepped forward and took the ring before sliding it onto my finger that would lock with my engagement ring. "Hezekiah, the moment that I laid my eyes on you was when I knew that you and I were meant to be," he said softly. "We didn't get to spend more time with each other on Earth as we liked, but we're now here and we're going to take the next step towards something that can never be exploited or misused. I promise that I will be there for you every step of the way even as we're timelessly young in the Nexus. You and I were meant to be, Kiah. And I vow that you and I will be one in heart, mind, body, and soul."

Accepting the ring from Lucifer, it was my turn. "Chance, I knew that we never stood a chance back on Earth," I began. "With my family's highly-impossible ideals and yours being too toxic, we were lucky enough to count our blessings and keep our platonic bonds as friends. When you died, I had to move forward and hide the pain to keep up appearances. But there was never a moment when I didn't think about you or the time we spent together when I was in Europe for camps and summer schools. I had to remain strong enough to hold on to what we had. And when I first saw you in the pool on my first day in the Nexus, I felt unsure if you felt the same way. But now, I feel like I'm ready to take the step with you. I promise that I will open up my heart to you even when I feel uncertain that I will be heard. We might not be wanted in either heaven or hell, much less wanted on Earth. But you and I? We're home at last to each other. And that's how I feel right now: I'm home at last."

"After all that's been said, there's nothing left to say," God proclaimed. "What I have brought together, let no man put asunder. You may now kiss."

He didn't have to tell me twice. Chance and I kissed each other to the sounds of happy cheers as I felt an ethereal glow form and flow within each other and around us.

******************

Later...

"I'll miss you," Cameron said sadly as he and I stood at a distance from everyone else. God allowed my brother and I to say our private farewells before he had to return to Earth. "Even though I won't remember much of anything, I will always remember you as being happy. I hope Chance takes good care of you."

"Thank you," I replied. "I'll miss you as well. But remember that I will be in your heart, bro. Give my love to Mrs. Simmons and the others. Tell them that I'm finally home at last."

With one last parting hug, God came over to us. "Cameron Chamblee, your time here is over and you will only remember seeing your brother happy," he intoned seriously. "But know that his love for you lives in your heart and soul. Your heart and deeds are pure, but you must remain faithful to the end. Know that you must keep the light going even when others want to diminish it."

"Yes, sir," Cameron breathed. "How do I go back to Earth?"

God placed a loving hand on my brother's shoulders. "You're already there," he replied before waving his arm. Cameron waved goodbye as he slowly faded away.

I waved back before his final form vanished. "I'll miss you," I said softly as my new husband came to my side. "Live well, Cameron Chamblee."

"You'll see him again, Kiah," God promised me. "But not yet as he has much to do. For now, we'll deal with Miss Domingue. And my brother has something...special for her. As for you two, commemorate your eternal bond for each other. And know that a little bit of my faith can do great wonders, a little faith."

The last thing I remembered seeing was a bright light forming around Chance and I before the darkness took over once more.

********************

Third-Person POV

Boston General Hospital, downtown...

Cameron's eyes flew open with a start as he saw the relieved face of a teary-eyed Minnie Jean Simmons, she coming to his side as two policemen came inside with Senator Coleman and his wife alongside the doctor (a cocoa-skinned middle-aged woman) following suit. "Thank You, Lord," Minnie Jean breathed as she petted the teenager's head. "Baby, are you okay? Those brood of vipers tried to shoot you dead. But not if my God can allow it!"

Cameron smiled thinly, eyes laced with sleep. "Mrs. Simmons, I saw my late brother," he said, voice slurred with tiredness. "He says that he's home and he's happy. He said that he misses you, but he'll be watching over you and the others."

"Rest, child," the former maid advised him. "We'll talk later."

Cameron's eyes closed as sleep took him under, the beeping from the machines being his lullaby.

As soon as the adults went outside in the hallways, Senator Coleman puffed a deep breath. "Thank God he'll be okay," he said. "I knew that Jeffrey and Adelle were vicious, but to allow that boy's twin brother and older sister to kill him like they killed Hezekiah?"

"We know, Senator," commented one of the police officers. "Captain Seymour has the whole family in holding save for the newlyweds since they didn't know of what was happening. If anything, they were left in the dark as much as Cameron was."

"Even so, I want that family to pay for their sins," Minnie Jean said fiercely. "I trust that we got all the evidence needed to finally end this game?"

"More than enough, Mrs. Chamblee," the senator replied tersely. "And all I need is one phone call to ensure that the family is going to be facing trial with no chance of success."

He was sure of it.

Cumulative word-count so far: 30,997 words.

All right, folks! We're getting closer and closer to the end of this story with four chapters left! And as the proud will be brought low, the meek shall rise and all will be made clear!

Coming up next, it's time for a trial for the Chamblee family (Jeffrey, Adelle, Leigh-Anne, and Alex) and things are soon falling apart for them while Mariah and Andrew are taking off! I know y'all are going to love this!

Vote.
Comment,
Share.
Follow.
Add.
FAN!