Chapter Twenty-Four

Weddings.

If anyone in the world loves the one single thing that can bring families or communities together more than anything else in the world, it would be weddings.

Whether simplified and no-nonsense or lavish and extravagant, weddings can rally people together despite any situation.

But for Jeffrey and Adelle Chamblee, the wedding of Mariah Chamblee and Andrew Coleman was more than bringing people together. It was a time to be seen and to see who wanted to be seen. It was a time where friendships and rivalries were either formed or dissolved, a time where plans for lunch dates and future plans were arranged.

But more importantly, this wedding was to salvage their reputations from what was shattered from Leigh-Anne and Alex's actions and ensure that the dark secret of Hezekiah's murder was left in the background.

Adelle and her husband, both in matching Christian Dior formal ensembles, were finishing with their morning breakfast with their son Andrew (who was to serve as the usher for one of the current younger maids serving as the bridesmaid). "So, young man," Jeffrey began as he directed his attention to the pre-teen. "You already know that your older sister is going to be the talk of the town as today's going to be important for her and this family. I assume that you know that you're to govern yourself properly, correct?"

Jeffrey, in a simple Brooks Brothers tuxedo, nodded as he finished his glass of juice. "I do," he replied. "And I intend to make sure to keep to myself unless it's necessary to make nice with the guests."

"Good," Adelle hummed. "And with you starting school over in Eton, it'll be more important for you to ensure that the family name remains untouched by scandals. Unlike your late older brother, Leigh-Anne, and your twin brother; you show fine promise of being the educable child that will continue to keep the diamond standards going. Your father and I admit that we pressure so much on you with our expectations, but it's for the greater good. This family has suffered from the dealings from this past summer and we can't afford anything else to overshadow this day. You're doing your part to stay out of trouble, but you being a teenager means more responsibilities to take on and sacrifices to be made. I understand that you know that means giving up your ideals for the sake of what's best for the future."

Cameron nodded. All for you and Dad to make me into your perfect drone or the next sacrificial lamb, he thought bitterly. "Yes, I do." he said out loud.

"Good," Jeffrey commented before the servants who would stay home to clean arrived to clear the table. "Remember the diamond standard, Cameron. You'll thank me and your mother for this later."

He stood to his feet with his wife did the same. "The limo will arrive in twenty minutes to pick us up before we pick up Adelle at her hotel and then...the wedding of the year will soon take place," he said. "After the reception, you'll stay here until it's time to see you off to London where you'll start at Eton. For now, take the time to collect your thoughts." He led his wife out of the room.

Cameron slumped in his chair. Is this how Hezekiah felt day after day? he asked himself before his phone buzzed with a text. Senator Coleman. And what he would read for the next five minutes would have his and his family's lives turned upside down as his family's plans for a day to remember would be just that...in more ways than one.

*********************

At St. Angus Catholic Church, later that afternoon...

The old saying "When you least expect it, expect it," is still a strong statement in life when facing with some surprises.

And for the invited guests and attendees at the spacious Catholic church that was hosting the anticipated wedding of a lifetime, it was going to be held true.