Ch. 25

As Alexandre's sleek, black sedan gradually comes to a stop, I can't help but marvel at the towering, multi-windowed hospital building that looms before us. The pristine white facade of the structure lays dull against the night sky.

"Thanks for the ride." I shove my phone back into my pocket.

"No worries, I already needed to grab a few things from here." Alexandre makes an abstract arm motion at me to connect what he was saying. "You know, we were all planning to come to the hospital in a few hours after everyone got some sleep."

"Yeah, I know. I just rather see him now rather then after when I've just woken up." I wouldn't tell my brother the actual reason was because I wouldn't be able to get any sleep not knowing that Aiden was safe.

"Do you want me to wait for you?" He asks while I am sliding off the leather seat.

I turn back to him and ponder at the question for about a minute. "No it's fine, I'll call a taxi or something." Before I close the door I add, "Just finding his room is going to take me more time then you will grabbing what you need." I then throw him one of my award winning smiles and walk into the hospital lobby.

As I walked through the hospital lobby, I came across an elderly lady sitting behind a cluttered countertop with papers and files spread across it. Her face was kind and welcoming, and her eyes held a certain warmth as she talked to each person. I noticed that she was working on a computer screen displaying patient data, and I could hear the soft tapping of the keyboard as she helped assist the line of people. Despite the busy environment, she remained calm and composed, allowing me to understand that this was the regular atmosphere.

"Hello," the women smiled brighter then one would expect for 2 am.

"Hello, I'm looking for Aiden Vincent's room number. He should have just got in an half-hour ago."

"Ah yes, found it. It says that the room number will be 342, but at the time he is still in surgery. You are welcome to wait by the room though." She says, her smile never breaking.

"Ok, thank you." I say mindlessly as a walk to the elevator.

————————

"Sir, you can see him now," says one of the nurses a few minutes after I took a seat on one of the rows of benches in the hallway.

As I push open the door to Aiden's room, my heart sinks at the sight of various machines that surround his bed. The beeping of the monitors and the tangle of wires that cover almost every inch of his exposed body only add to the overwhelming feeling in my stomach. However, I force myself to take one step at a time and make my way towards his bedside.

I pull close a chair from a nearby desk and sit myself right in front of Aiden's right hand. I sandwich his cold, immobile hand in between mine and rest my forehead on top. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, trying to calm my racing thoughts and emotions. It's surreal to see him like this, but I remind myself that he's a fighter and he'll pull through.

Minutes pass, and I find myself lost in thought. I think about all the memories we've shared, the laughs we've had, and the love we've built.

After a few more minutes, I decided to stand up and leave. As I take one last look at Aiden, I'm filled with hope and determination. I know that he'll soon recover. I just have to think positively.

As I walk over to the door thinking that everything would be fine I hear something that makes my heart twist. It was two nurses, one of which was the one who allowed me to see Aiden. They were talking about his condition.

"Yeah, it seems that the bullet hit one of his organs and it doesn't look like he has a good chance of recovery."

"That's so sad," the other nurse replies.