Chapter 14: Venice

It was 2:00 am; the hour of the dead

It was so quiet, I could hear the thoughts in my head.

I have always hated silence, it is paralysing; or like anaesthesia, numbing.

I have a flight to catch at 7, and a husband to surprise, simultaneously. I promised Reed that I will make him happy. Most unreliable promise I have ever made, since I'm not even able to make myself happy.

I'm just a large pit of hollowness; the silence mocks me. I have not planned anything for this supposed trip, I have packed my bags though.

I lie on my bed, hoping sleep would magically come to me. Sleep seldom comes to those who are troubled.

Shakespeare couldn't have said it better.

I want another drink but I have promised Reed that I will quit. The visuals are too much to bear, her face crystal in my mind, I see her daily in the mirror. I see her death in the face of my own. And the hate for it flames inside me.

I wish I could see her again; just once; and I'm willing to give up anything for it.

Well it is futile to wish for anything because the throne of God is as empty as my soul and however much I call out to it, I will only meet that despicable silence.

After staring at ceiling for another hour, I got up and left my room. I needed to escape my thoughts and Reed would be the perfect distraction.

I slowly twisted his door knob and peeped inside to see if he was still awake. Surprisingly though, I was met with the sight of a perfectly sculpted, naked upper body of Reed, lying flat on his back with one hand under his head and feet outstretched. Grey sweatpants certainly didn't help and the moonlight that crept inside from the open window, shone on his godly body; sparkly almost.

His breathing was even and his eyes were closed. I slowly entered his bedroom and stood near his bed.

God, he is so beautiful.

I crouched down next to his bed and quietly sat there to observe him.

He's not mine.

He belongs to that woman who destroyed my life. And yet fate gives her the most wonderful things that the world has to offer. Whereas I'm left here to deal with night terrors and sleep paralysis and a body that I want to scrub till I can't see those scars anymore.

I get up from my position and walk to the other side of the bed. I lie down next to Reed, hoping he won't get mad about it tomorrow. The fresh scent of the night air fills my nostrils, and after a long time I drift into a void sleep.

I woke up the next morning to Reed's voice, he was saying something but I was still recovering from the coma that I had been in.

"What are you doing here, Layla?" Reed's morning voice immediately brought me to senses, but I couldn't decide whether I was more embarrassed or turned on by it.