Chapter 44

Ms Ningguang turned out to be the esteemed guest the institute had arranged for to give a seminar. Gentle claps resounded in the hall as Ms Ningguang walked up to the podium, now you were really interested to see just who she was. Her eyes scanned the audience in front of her and suddenly, her gaze stopped at you with a brief surprised look followed by a smile. It was a quick look that nobody would really catch, but you had realized she saw you. You didn't have a good feeling of what this meant, you wished to hide in a corner and not be seen again.

"Greetings to all faculty members, teachers and all the brilliant young students sitting here today. It is an honor for me to be invited to one of Teyvat's most prestigious institutes for sciences and engineering. I am Ningguang, CEO of Qixing Corporation in Liyue. Some of you may have heard of the company; if you have ever paid attention to the equipment in your laboratories, you may notice a certain symbol engraved on one of the sides. Does it happen to look like this?" 

Ms Ningguang announced and showed the image of a logo on the presentation screen, nods and agreements echoed in the hall making Ms Ningguang smile. 

"Well, there it is. We specialize in import export of various materials and equipment all around Teyvat. We are affiliated with the government of Teyvat, and also have a contract with your institute to supply all technical and laboratory equipment here. Now you may be wondering why a simple trading company is coming here to give a seminar to you all, right? Well, I'll come to that part soon. How about we have a small quiz first? Just a little activity to break the ice between us, hm?~" 

Ms Ningguang hummed in a playful tone, it was evident the students weren't really interested in the seminar but looking at her and hearing her speak made some of them— especially the boys— a little fascinated. She continued looking over all the students and lingered over you longer than others as if she was waiting to see you speak up, did you give her unrealistic expectations about yourself? 

"Alright then, could I just know what batch we have here? Computers, mechanical, civil engineering etc etc?" Ms Ningguang asked and the students replied in a mixture of nods and answers of some other fields.

"Thank you, is there anyone from chemical as well?~" Ms Ningguang was clearly eyeing you and you wanted to squeeze and hide behind the chair, but you noticed a small group raising their hands hence followed them and raised your hand as well, earning a smile from Ms Ningguang.

"Wonderful. Then, first question- what is the hardest natural substance on Earth? I selected mostly scientific questions so I'm expecting a good result here~"

Some students whispered amongst themselves before loudly answering, "Diamond?" and Ms Ningguang was pleased, "Well done, that was easy. Next one, which oath of ethics taken by doctors is named after an Ancient Greek physician?"

"Hippocratic Oath!" resounded in the hall from various corners. 

"Good good. Let's make it a little difficult now, what is the only letter to not appear on the periodic table?"

A brief silence engulfed the hall accompanied with hushed whispers as Ms Ningguang waited patiently then smiled watching you raise your hand before anybody else, "Yes, please. Could she be given a mic?"

One of the teachers walked up to your seat with a cordless mic and handed it to you, you cleared your throat then spoke, "Uh, J does not appear on the periodic table or any element name. Q also doesn't appear in any official names but is present in temporary names like ununquadium."

Ms Ningguang clapped her hands at your answer, "Absolutely correct and perfectly explained. Could she have a round of applause, please?"

All the students and teachers clapped for you and you felt slightly embarrassed then quickly sat down. Ms Rosalyne was proud to hear your answer and was smiling to herself, earning a light budge on the shoulder from Ms Lisa who was sitting beside her, "Mm, look at you. Your favorite student is impressive as expected~"