Chapter 37

Ms Rosalyne gazed at you in silence as you kissed her hand, the gentle and feather-like touch of your lips on her skin felt soothing and she could feel herself burning up despite the cold weather. When you released her hand, both of you stared at each other and couldn't speak a word until you smiled and averted your gaze in a flustered way.

"Um, t-that counts, right? I'm not sure how this works...."

She finally regained her composure and straightened herself then cleared her throat, "Y-Yes, it's fine, don't care about the details so much."

You nodded in relief then she spoke again, "Well, shall we go back to the venue? There are still a few things left to do."

"Oh, actually, what time is it? My mom had told me to come home before 6..."

You took out your phone and noticed the several missed calls by Ms Rosalyne made within the past half an hour and felt more guilty, you scrolled further then noticed a missed call from your mother as well and were about to call back when your phone rung and your mother called herself.

"It's my mom. Just a minute, ma'am."

"Go ahead, I'll sit there and wait."

She pointed to a nearby bench and you agreed then she walked towards it and sat down with a sigh while you picked up the call. She kept recalling the moment from before as she gazed at you, subconsciously touching the spot you had kissed earlier as if feeling the sensation again and a blush spread across her face, "That was.... really sweet of her."

"Mom?"

"Ah, Y/n! You picked up now. How's everything going? Where are you now?"

"Oh, we visited the shelter already then came across a winter carnival and decided to visit that."

"Do you mean the one in the city? What was it called again....Winter Wonderland, was it?"

"Yes, that one. You know about it?"

"I saw it on my way to work, I had thought we could visit tomorrow but I'm glad you went with your friend."

"Oh, I can come again tomorrow with you. Everything is really good here!"

"Hehe, we'll think about it then. Anyways, I came back home around an hour ago and made some preparations so you should also come back soon and bring your friend along."

"O-Oh, she.... she may not come." 

"Nonsense! Give the phone to her I'll tell her to come! I'm dying to meet this new friend of yours and it's your birthday party!"

"M-Mom, she has things to do at her home...."

"That doesn't mean she can't come for some time! Give the phone to her right now, let me talk!"

You pursed your lips in nervousness as you knew your mother wouldn't listen to any excuses you made, you were well aware of this behavior of hers. You contemplated what to do, would you really reveal to your mother that this so-called friend was none other than your teacher with whom you took weekend tutoring? You walked up to Ms Rosalyne and she became confused by the tense look on your face.

"Uh, ma'am, my mother wants to talk to you..."

You spoke softly while covering the speaker of your phone, Ms Rosalyne's eye widening at your statement.

"What is it? Is everything alright?"

"Y-Yes, she wants to invite you to our house right now.... I had told her I'm out with a friend but I didn't tell it's you and now she's insisting to talk to you."