Part 11: To War, Then! (Prelude)

As Meiling thought about the events a few days ago, her face curled into an expression of disgust. Knowing that not only had Iku tried to return her to the Dragon Palace by force, but had also sent a dragon-eating oomukade after her — she couldn't believe her siblings would go this far just to eliminate her. She knew now that, most likely, Iku was just the beginning. They would start sending real dragons after her now, and she was going to have to brace herself.
    "Meiling."
    Meiling jumped, and turned to see Sakuya standing next to her, a look of worry painting her face. "O-oh! Sakuya! How, um — how can I help you?" Meiling said, trying to smile.
    "We need to talk." Sakuya said sternly.
    "Uh...um, can it wait for a little bit? I —"
    "No. Now." Sakuya demanded.
   Meiling cleared her throat anxiously, and said "Very well! Uh, what would you like to talk about, Miss Sakuya?"
    Sakuya's eyes narrowed, and she crossed her arms. "I saw blood on your hands after you returned from...wherever you were, the other day."
    Meiling paused. "B-blood? I— I don't—"
    "Meiling." Sakuya glared at her. "I need you to tell me what really happened on the day Iku arrived. Here."
    "Oh, haha! That!" Meiling chuckled nervously. "Well, like I said, Iku and I just had a civil discussion—"
    "Don't lie to me." Sakuya said, putting a knife to Meiling's throat, though not enough to cause any actual harm. Meiling gulped. "I want the truth. The whole truth. I need to know what is happening and what is going to happen next. It has become clear that Reimu was wrong. This problem isn't going away on its own. So for the good of everyone in this household..." Her gaze softened. "Please, Meiling. We need to know how to prepare."
    Meiling stared at her desolately for a few seconds, then sighed. "Alright. I'll tell you everything. I promise." She took a deep breath, then continued "When Iku came here...it was with a summons to the Dragon Palace. They...informed me that I was to be executed."
    "What?" Sakuya softly murmured.
    "My death, it seems, has already been decided. Iku told me that, even if she were going to die, she had been ordered to take me back by any means necessary. So I..." Meiling took a shaky breath. "I got angry. For you all. I didn't want her to hurt you, so I grabbed her and took her to the Nameless Hill."
    "The Nameless Hill? The one with all the toxic miasma flowing through the air? The lilies of the valley? Meiling, you could have died." Sakuya accused.
    "Aha, no, no, Miss Sakuya. As a dragon, such a thing hardly troubled me. It was harmless to me — but toxic to Iku. The goal was to set a time limit on how long she could stay there, but I must admit I..." Meiling frowned. "Lost my temper."
    "Meiling—" Sakuya started, but Meiling interrupted.
    "I beat her senseless. Broke every bone in both her arms, probably a couple ribs, too. Maybe damaged her throat, some." Meiling glared defiantly at Sakuya. "But rest assured, she deserved it."
    Sakuya's gaze shifted into one of sadness. "Meiling...that can't be—"
   "Sakuya." Meiling said. "She deserved it...because she, and every other dragon at the palace treated me like trash. Scum, slime, a lower lifeform." She closed her eyes. "I was always...the 'weak' one. I, all this time, had been pushing for an end to the conflict. I could not bear seeing my family rip each other to shreds in such a way. But even that desperate act of love, of an attempt to save our souls... I paid the price for it."
    Sakuya was somewhat stunned. "Meiling...I'm sorry. I can't imagine how much that must have destroyed you inside."
    "It did." Meiling sighed. "But it helped me make my decision. I would no longer consider the other dragons my family; at best, they became estranged. I forged my own path, despite the suffering. And I ended up happier than I could have ever thought possible." She added, smiling warmly at Sakuya, then turning her gaze to the mansion. "I don't regret the decisions I've made, the path I've chosen, one bit. Not at all. I am more grateful and devoted to you and the others more than you could ever possibly know. Believe me when I say that."
    Sakuya nodded. "Of course, Meiling. Your loyalty and love for us has never been in question. But I wish you had told me everything from the start."
    Meiling chuckled. "It seems even after the cat's out of the bag, I'm still somehow trying to protect you all. ...In truth, I don't know if there's anything that can be done. To prepare, to ensure everyone's safety. Which is why..." She sighed. "I was planning to depart, soon."
    "Depart?" Sakuya breathed. "What do you mean, depart? What are you doing? Where are you going?" She asked, anxiety rising in her chest.
    Meiling gazed at the sky, sternly. "I'm going...to the Dragon Palace. To make things right, once and for all."
    "I won't let you." Sakuya growled. "Absolutely not. You cannot waste your life in this way, giving yourself up to them. I won't allow it."
    "I'm not wasting my life." Meiling glanced at her, her smile returning. "I am going to the Dragon Palace to fight. Not to get executed."
    "Either way!" Sakuya shouted. "If you go there they will kill you! It doesn't matter if you do it quietly or go in headfirst, you can't win against them, Meiling!"
    Meiling grabbed Sakuya's shoulders, and for the first time, Sakuya felt like the servant, rather than the supervisor. "Sakuya. I have to do this. Please don't take away my right to protect my family."
    "You'll DIE!" Sakuya yelled, her eyes beginning to fill with tears. "You will DIE, Meiling! How can you do such a thing to the young Mistresses? To all of us?"
    Meiling gave a weak smile. "Because I love you. All of you. And sometimes, when we love someone a whole lot...we have to do things that seem unfair. Just like I told Flan."
    Sakuya glared at her, a tear rolling down her cheek. "You're so selfish." She said without much force. "This is such a stupid decision."
    "It's the right one." Meiling responded, letting go of Sakuya. "But, I'm not going to leave you all completely undefended. I do have several requests to make."
    "What." Sakuya said flatly, crossing her arms.
    "Go to Patchouli and tell her it's time to use 'that' book. That's the only thing that may be able to withstand the assault."
    "Which book?" Sakuya asked.
    "She'll know which one." Meiling said with a smile. "My other request: you can tell everyone I'm leaving. Everyone...except Flandre."
    "What?" Sakuya questioned, incredulous. "She's the one that needs to know most!"
    "No. She doesn't." Meiling said sharply, making Sakuya flinch. "Flandre has no filter, no fear, and no inhibition. She believes she can take on anyone, and if she hears that I'm leaving to fight, she'll try to follow me. Only tell her after I'm gone; she won't know where the Dragon Palace actually is, and her safety will be assured. You have to promise me this, Sakuya."
    Sakuya paused, then replied "I-...I promise."
    Meiling patted her on the shoulder. "Good. I do have one final request."
    "What is it?"
    "If I don't return, don't look for me." Meiling closed her eyes.
    "What?!" Sakuya cried. "That's the most selfish thing you've said yet! How can you—"
    "Because, Sakuya!" Meiling growled. In a softer tone of voice, she repeated "Because. If they find people looking for me, they'll assume that those people are connected with me, and they'll wipe you all out, just to prove a point. Above all else, I cannot, and will not, go into battle knowing that there is even the slightest risk that my actions will cause your deaths. Therefore..." Meiling sighed. What she was about to say was going to hurt, even for her. "If Remilia or Flandre try to follow me, or look for me—" She gave Sakuya a determined stare. "You are to prevent their leaving by any and all means necessary. Even if it costs you your life."
    Sakuya stood in shock. "You are asking me to directly hinder and disobey the ones who run this household."
    "I am." Meiling nodded. "Because it's for their own good."
    Sakuya clenched her fists. "You're just horrible. You're the worst..." She met Meiling's gaze, tears running down her cheeks. "And what's more horrible is that I agree with you. We're both traitors."
    Meiling smiled sadly. "One betrayal cost me my life. This one will save those who gave it back to me."
    Sakuya was silent for a time, then pulled Meiling into a tight hug. Meiling was shocked at first, but then reciprocated, wrapping her arms around Sakuya. "You're an idiot." Sakuya whispered. "Please." She choked out. "Whatever happens, just please... don't die."
    "I'll certainly try my best." Meiling murmured, a tear falling down her cheek now, too. She broke from the hug, and said "I leave in three days. During that time, make sure everything is as it should be. You all need to be ready, and if the situation calls for it, gather the most powerful allies you can to assist. This is the Scarlet Devil Mansion's final stand. Make it count."
    Sakuya wiped the tears away, then nodded. "I will." She sighed. "For now, please — come inside and eat with us. Dinner is almost ready."
    Meiling laughed. "You sure? I can just have Koakuma bring me some."
    Sakuya shook her head. "No. Tonight, I want you to eat together. With us. And I think we both know..." She smiled. "Dragons won't be coming through the gate anyway."
    Meiling smirked. "Probably, not, no. Lead the way — Milady." Together they walked toward the mansion, the sun beginning to set behind them.