Part 3: The Runaway

As another day in the SDM began, the clouds began to gather. Remilia and Sakuya were in the main living room by themselves this time, and all was quiet.
    "More tea, Milady?" Sakuya asked.
    Remilia nodded, but her mind seemed preoccupied with something else. "Sakuya..."
    "Yes, Milady?"
    "How do you feel about Meiling?"
    Sakuya tilted her head. "Beg pardon, Mistress?"
    "Meiling. How do you feel about her? What she is? What she's like? Her past?" Remilia broke her gaze from the window, now turning to stare directly at Sakuya.
    Sakuya was unsure how to answer, but eventually began "Well, Milady..." She sighed. "As you know, when you took me into your abode, for the first time, I had the pleasure of meeting everyone. Patchouli, you, Milady, Lady Flandre, Koakuma, and... Meiling." Sakuya's own gaze turned to stare at the gathering clouds, as a slight drizzle had begun. "I'm sure you were aware of this already, but back when you first gave me shelter, I'd come from a rather terrible situation. My confidence was...Lacking, shall we say. In contrast, Meiling had little else but overflowing confidence. As I got to know her, she left quite the impression on my young mind, I suppose. I wanted to be strong..." Sakuya's gaze grew a little sad. "To be confident, to be able to walk my own path. I wanted her bravery, her kindness, her... "warmth". She just...radiated such a kind, warm energy. I wanted to grow up to be exactly like Meiling." Sakuya sighed again, as the rain began to truly fall, now.
    "Unfortunately, as I grew up, and as I became the way I am now, I know she has far too many flaws to count. She's lazy, cocky, easy-going...a klutz, she's sloppy and, in my opinion, gets too lax around Lady Flandre."
    Remilia said nothing, closing her eyes and taking a sip of tea. She waited.
    A slight smile graced Sakuya's lips, and she continued "...But...I suppose I still look up to her on some level, even now. I cannot relax in the same way she can. I don't have the easygoing nature that she has. But more importantly...She can do it when it counts. When things get down to the wire, when times are dark and seem hopeless. She's kind enough to the fairy maids, and..." Sakuya paused. "I think she loves us all, very, very much. Even though she's as dense as a rock...I still like to keep that memory of when I first met her."
    Remilia spoke, with her eyes still closed. "I can see that. You braid your hair the same way as her, even after all these years."
    Sakuya's eyes widened, and then she chuckled. "Perceptive, as ever, Milady. It seems I cannot hide anything from you."
    Remilia turned to Sakuya, and a gentle smile played on her face. "What sort of mistress would I be...if I didn't treat my staff and family with respect? If I didn't know the true feelings of everyone in this mansion? Being this perceptive comes naturally when there are people you love."
    Sakuya blushed slightly, for the first time in a while, and turned her gaze away. "...Indeed, Milady."
    "However, that wasn't quite what I was asking, though I do appreciate the sincerity." Remilia stated.
    "Milady?" Sakuya questioned.
    Remilia closed her eyes again, and sipped her tea before responding. "I meant what she is. Where she comes from. She's a higher being than all of us. How does that make you feel? Knowing that a being so sacred, so revered, and with such a vast and complex history...is the servant and gatekeeper of a vampire half her size?"
    Sakuya's face grew stern. "I don't believe her species or past have any bearing on this household. Regardless of what she may be, she is a member of the staff and, though it is aggravating to say, a dear friend. That is all that matters. Anything else isn't worth mentioning."
    Remilia set her cup down, then opened her eyes, smiling at Sakuya. "A wise and sensible answer. I'd expect nothing less."
    Sakuya bowed. "Thank you, Milady."
    "For now, you are dismissed, Sakuya. I appreciate your counsel...and your honesty."
    "Yes, Milady." With that, Sakuya disappeared.
    For a few minutes, there was silence. Then, Remilia spoke. "You can come out now, Meiling."
    From behind a nearby archway, Meiling walked. Her hand covered her mouth, and tears were silently streaming down her face. "Y...Yesh, M-Mishtress." She choked out.
    Remilia stood up and walked over to Meiling. "Take this." She handed Meiling a handkerchief. "Your face is a mess." She said, in a gentle tone of voice.
    "M-Mistresh, I c-couldn't posshibly-" Meiling started.
    "Just take it." Remilia insisted. Meiling paused, then gingerly took the handkerchief from Remilia, wiping and drying her tears.
    "I hope that was enough." Remilia smiled. "I thought maybe, after Flan spoke out of turn yesterday, you might have felt guilty or depressed. Take this as a reassurance. We're not letting you go anywhere."
    Meiling sniffed loudly, then gave a simple nod. Remilia walked back over to the window, and Meiling asked "Uhm...Mistress, your handkerch-"
"Keep it. As a token of appreciation. I'll have Sakuya sew another one for me later." Remilia responded, taking her seat. "While I have you here, there's something else I'd like to ask."
    Meiling nodded, responding "Ask me anything, Mistress."
    "I have a vague idea of why you left the Dragon Palace in the first place. But I've yet to hear further details. I was wondering whether you can tell me more, as well as tell me anything you know about the Dragon God. Assuming it doesn't bring up memories that are too painful for you to recount." Remilia added.
    Meiling shook her head. "No, Mistress. I'd be happy to tell you. The main reason I left was...well, politics, mainly. Being a dragon brings trouble and responsibility I didn't feel I could bear. That, and the fact that conflict has been brewing ever since the Dragon God disappeared. I asked many times about his whereabouts, but I never saw him myself, and none of my brethren would tell me anything other than that he was 'elsewhere'. I had decided to leave all the bickering and rage behind me, and wished to live a peaceful life. So, I left, and descended to the realm below. And after you found me... Well. You know the rest." She chuckled.
    For a while, Remilia was silent. Then: "And what kind of politics?"
    Meiling sighed in frustration. "After the Dragon God vanished, there was no consensus on who should be left in charge. Each of the older, more revered dragons believed they held the right to lead, and naturally that lead to argument and eventually conflict. I had no such desire, but it wasn't up to me; inaction and neutrality were seen as treason."
    At this, Remilia's face drew into a scowl. "Talk less and suffer more, eh. I've always hated such ethics. Opinions need not be given, even under duress. ...Especially not under duress. Pressure clouds the mind and creates panic. I never thought that dragons would stoop to such a mundane, mortal conflict."
    Meiling shook her head. "Nor did I, Miss Remilia. We're supposed to be the example. To be the ones who, above all else, maintain their composure and bring about peace. It seems, somewhere along the way..." Meiling turned away. "My brethren forgot that."
    Remilia fell silent for a time, then said "Dismissed. And take a coat out with you. It seems this rain isn't going to let up any time soon."
    Meiling saluted, and responded "Yes, Milady!" before leaving to go back to the gate.
    Remilia sighed, then turned. "As for you..." She turned to the wall, where a small black insect sat. She stood up, then, swiftly, dashed to the wall and took the bug in her hand: a centipede. "I know you can hear me, and I dislike repeating myself, so I'll say this once." Remilia murmured in a lethal tone, as she began to glow red. "If you attack or even so much as touch Meiling...I will make sure your end is a slow and agonizing one. Consider this your first and only warning. The full fury of this household will descend upon you, in all its horrible glory. Have a pleasant day." She growled, before crushing the centipede in her fist, killing it. The red glow around her body slowly faded, and she called. "Sakuya."
    Instantly, Sakuya appeared from thin air. "Yes, Milady." She bowed.
    "Go to Patchouli and tell her to activate every protection and barrier spell her library can provide. This mansion is now in lockdown. Until further notice, it will become a fortress, a stronghold. No one gets in or out. And if you see any centipedes...Annihilate them on sight."
    Without so much as a confused tilt of the head, Sakuya bowed once more. "It will be done, Milady." With that, Sakuya vanished as quickly as she came.
    Remilia walked over to the window, and gazed up at the sky. The rain, which had grown more intense by now, was mercilessly pelting the windows. "Whoever threatens us, let them come. If they want a fight...We'll bring them Hell."