Part 2: Strange People, Strange Comments

The next afternoon, Meiling was taking a break from gatekeeping to tend to the SDM's garden. It was a small job, but one she liked doing. The fresh air, the sunshine...and putting new life in the ground to grow. She did have some regret that Remilia couldn't fully enjoy it, as the vampire was sitting at a nearby table, under an umbrella. Still, it was nice to be there, either way.
    "Milady, did we plant new sprouts?" Meiling asked, noticing a few plants she hadn't before.
    "Indeed. The 'goods' I asked Sakuya to get yesterday were various fruit and vegetable seeds. Normally they wouldn't grow that fast, but Sakuya... nudged them along a little bit." Remilia took a sip of tea, then continued "It should save us some trips to the village in the future; from what I understand, homegrown produce is said to taste better, at any rate."
    Meiling chuckled awkwardly. "A-ah...Is that so?" She turned back to the garden, picking up a trowel. In truth, she knew Remilia could only truly gain sustenance from blood, but as her mistress enjoyed occasionally eating real food, she chose not to argue. Then a thought occurred to her. I suppose these are more for us than the mistresses; they know our diets are different. Meiling smiled warmly, knowing that, even if that was the case, Remilia wouldn't admit it. However, it was nice to be appreciated.
    She stood up and wiped the sweat from her brow, but as she raised her gaze, she noticed someone standing in a tree, on a branch. Her eyes narrowed. It was a woman, and she wore a white dress and black sunhat with red frills. Her hair was a purple-indigo color, and her expression was relatively neutral. However, she was staring intently at Meiling, and even though she'd been spotted, she didn't seem to care.
    Meiling stared at her, slight panic rising in her throat. "Iku Nagae..." she muttered. "What the hell is she doing here...?" Iku's expression turned cold and condescending, before she leapt into the sky, and flew off.
    A bead of sweat traced down Meiling's face, one created by anxiety. Not exertion. She glanced down at her hand, and saw she was trembling. Stop it. She growled to herself. Stop it, now. She was probably just scouting. There's nothing for her to report, no cause for alarm. I haven't done anything. So why... She clenched her fist. Why is my heart pounding so fast?!
    "Meiling?" a voice called. Meiling gasped, and turned around, taking a defensive pose. However, the only person she saw was Sakuya. Unperturbed, Sakuya's eyes narrowed.
    Meiling sighed in relief, and relaxed. "Miss Sakuya. What was it you needed?" She asked.
    "I've been calling you for the last fifteen seconds. Did you suddenly and conveniently go deaf?" Sakuya accused.
    Meiling's eyes widened and she shook her head. "N-no! No, no, I was just...deep in thought."
    Sakuya's gaze hovered on Meiling's face, and for some reason, her own expression softened. "...The mistress and I are heading inside. Would you like to join us for some tea?"
    "Tea? Um..." Normally Meiling refused, but today, she felt she could probably use it. "Actually, Miss Sakuya, I'd like to make the tea today, if you don't mind."
    Sakuya was taken aback. "You? Make the tea? I...I don't see why not, but...you rarely go out of your way like this. Are you sick?" She questioned sharply.
    At this, Meiling chuckled. "No, no, I'm fine. Just...consider it my appreciation for your cooking last night."
    Sakuya stared, and then turned away nonchalantly. "Flattery will get you nowhere. In any case, let us head in. I think we'll take you up on your offer." With that, Sakuya disappeared, just like she had the night before. Meiling sighed, then turned to look at the sky, in the direction Iku had flown off in. Shaking her head, she headed toward the mansion's front entrance.

---

Remilia, as well as a few other people, were sitting on the couch in the main living room, awaiting their tea. Sakuya was sitting as well, feeling a bit out of place. "Um...Milady. I feel I should be doing something. Shall I go check to make sure Meiling isn't...well, burning down the kitchen?" Remilia shook her head.
    "You're a hard worker, Sakuya, but sometimes I wish you'd work a little less hard, if you catch my meaning." She responded. "Duties are all fine and well, but you're still, first and foremost, a member of this household. As such, you have the right to relax-" Remilia pushed Sakuya's shoulders into the couch "-the same as the rest of us. Also, it's rare that Meiling makes us tea, especially considering she never drinks any of ours. I think we should respect her hospitality."
    Sakuya sighed. "Yes, Milady. Forgive me." At that moment, Meiling came out from the kitchen, holding a large tray with various items on it.
    "Everything is ready!" Meiling announced cheerfully, setting the tray down on the table. The others gazed down, and saw any number of tools and accessories waiting and ready.
    Sakuya stared in disbelief. "Meiling...what is all this, exactly? I see the teapot, and the water, but..."
    One of the people, a girl with vivid purple hair, clad in a white dress and cap, as well as what appeared to be white slippers, interrupted. "It's a tea ceremony. And from the looks of it, it's a rather extensive one at that."
    Meiling nodded. "It is. You're well-read, Patchouli. ...Not that that's anything new." The girl, Patchouli Knowledge, gave a slight nod, and fell silent again.
    Koakuma, who was also present, inquired "But what for? We always serve tea the normal way..."
    Meiling smiled, and responded "Normal tea is fine and good, but if I could ask for your patience...I'm sure you won't regret it."
    Remilia, intrigued, gave a snaggletoothed smile. "Oh? I certainly hope not. You seem to have gone to quite the effort."
    "Of course she did! Meiling always does her best!" Another girl spoke up, and Meiling's gaze turned to her. The girl wore a red dress and a white mob cap on her head. Her hair was a sunshine yellow, and, like Remilia, her eyes were a deep red, with slits for pupils. She swung her knees back and forth, a wide grin on her face. What was most eye-catching were her wings: two reddish extensions of unknown material. Underneath, on each wing, eight crystals floated, as if attached by some invisible force. The crystals were all the colors of the rainbow, and had a slight glow to them.
    Meiling broke into a smile. "Thank you, Flan-" Sakuya cleared her throat with a loud AHEM! Meiling caught herself, and continued "Lady Flandre." The girl, known as Flandre Scarlet, was the younger sister of Remilia.
    "Booooo! You're no fun, Sakuya!" Flan drawled. "Leave Meiling alone already!"
    Remilia closed her eyes and said with a smile "Now, Flan. Sakuya is only doing her job. Why don't you focus on cheering on Meiling, instead?"
    Meiling's eyes widened a bit and she laughed nervously "Ahaha! A-actually, if it's all the same, miladies, I'd prefer silence for this? It takes some serious concentration. Can you do that for me, Flan?" Remilia put a hand out in front of Sakuya as she glared at Meiling, but said nothing.
    "Hmmmm~ Okay!" Flandre said cheerfully. "I can be quiet!" Meiling nodded, and turned back to the tray, beginning to perform the tea ceremony and going about the preparations.
    Partway through, she noticed Sakuya staring at her, and asked nervously "Eh? Um...What's wrong, Miss Sakuya?"
    Sakuya tilted her head and asked "Where did you learn such a complicated tea ceremony, Meiling? I've never seen that one before."
    Patchouli chimed in with "I have. But, I'll let Meiling explain. It's her tea, after all."
    Meiling glanced at Patchouli before smiling at Sakuya. "Ah, no, Miss Sakuya, you wouldn't have. It's a secret tea ceremony taught only to-"
    "Oooh, ooh! I know! Only dragons can learn it, right?" Flandre exclaimed. Meiling stopped what she was doing, and the room went dead quiet. For the first time, Remilia looked nervous, as her eyes flew between Meiling and her sister. Sakuya quietly pulled out her watch, and Patchouli's hands began to glow. Flandre looked around and said "What? What's wrong with everyone? Did I say something wrong?"
    Meiling bent down in front of Flandre, and smiled, though not unkindly. "That's right, Flan. But remember what I've taught you? We don't talk about it, except in our quiet voices, right?"
    Flan grumbled. "But whyyyyy~? I think it's cool having a dragon as a-" Meiling quickly covered Flan's mouth.
    "Because...Flan..." Meiling said in a pained way. "You already know why. You're very smart for knowing that this tea ceremony is for dragons, which means I know you're smart enough to know why you should speak carefully and softly about this. Can you do that for me, Flan?"
    Without saying anything, Flan nodded her head with a muffled "Mm-hmm." Everyone breathed a deep sigh of relief, and Sakuya and Patchouli relaxed.
    Meiling spoke softly as she returned to her tray, and resumed the tea ceremony. "Flandre is correct. This tea ceremony is only taught to dragons..." Meiling gazed up at the ceiling, closing her eyes. "...Like me."
    "This is why I allowed Meiling to explain," Patchouli stated flatly. "Discretion is important."
    Meiling took a deep breath, then sighed. When her gaze returned to the others, the shadow was gone from her eyes, and she smiled.
    "The rest of you have always known, of course. From the moment I stepped foot inside this household. And I appreciate everything that you've done for me, including keeping it a secret. That is why I'm making your tea today." Having finished, Meiling poured out some in a mug for herself, and continued "It is a long, ancient, and complicated ceremony, but if you do it just right..." She took a sip, then sighed again. "There's no finer tea in this, or any, world. And more than that...It reminds me of home."
    Remilia and Flan lowered their gazes, feeling uncomfortable. Likewise, Sakuya turned away, and Patchouli closed her eyes. Koakuma simply stared in disbelief.
    "Before all the politics...the wrath, the corruption. Before...well." Meiling smiled weakly. "Before the Dragon God disappeared." There was silence, and Meiling spoke up again, nervously. "A-ah! I, uh, apologize, mistresses! I'm rambling. I'd rather not go any further with this; this isn't why I brought you all here, after all. Please, I'll serve this to you now, so enjoy." She finished, taking the teapot off the tray: a short, gold teapot with an exceptionally long spout. She took a deep breath, then threw all the cups into the air. She brought the teapot up with one arm behind her head, and stood on one leg. One by one, she caught the cups and swiftly filled them, pouring the tea from the kettle with expert finesse and care. Once all the tea cups were set, she set the kettle down and bowed.
    The other residents sat in shock at first, then burst into fierce applause. Only Sakuya didn't clap, but she did smile, and murmur under her breath: "Well, well..."
    Remilia reached for a cup, and took a brief sip. Her eyes widened and she stared at Meiling, who was grinning from ear to ear. "Meiling...You weren't lying, this is the finest tea I've ever tasted. The taste is...incredible."
    Patchouli nodded, as she too put the cup to her lips for a second sip. "This tea tells quite the story, just through its flavor. Ancient tradition, of peace and prosperity...The fresh air of nature and the warmth of the summer sun. Outstanding work, Meiling."
    Flandre took a big gulp, and she kicked her legs, eyes widening. "It's good!" She exclaimed. "It's really really yummy, Meiling! Wow!"
    Meiling smiled, a slight blush coming over her face. "Thank you, Milady...I was certainly hoping it would turn out well. As I said, consider it a thank you, from me to all of you, for the life you've given me, and the experiences I've had. And I hope to have many more."
    Flan set her cup down, then leapt at Meiling, hugging her with her whole body. Meiling, in surprise, stumbled backward a few steps. Remilia and Patchouli also stepped forward, wrapping their arms around her, with Koakuma soon joining in. Sakuya watched from a distance, but smiled warmly for the first time in a while.
    Meiling wrapped her arms around everyone as best she could, her eyes becoming a bit misty. "You are a valuable member of this household, but more than that...a dear friend." Remilia murmured. "Never, ever forget that. I can safely say we'd be lost without you." The others nodded in agreement, with a "Mm, mm."
    As they peeled themselves off of Meiling, one by one, tears welled in her eyes, and she bowed deeply, her voice wavering. "Yes! Thank you Milady...I couldn't even if I tried!"

---

Soon, night came again, and as always, Meiling was guarding the gate until it was time for her shift to end. She yawned, thinking over the day's events, and smiling once more at the thought of being around her friends...no, family.
    Suddenly, a voice called out to her. "Meiling! Heyyy!"
    Koakuma, just like the night before, had brought Meiling dinner. As always, Meiling thanked her, and was about to start eating, but Koakuma said "Oh, and there's one other thing: you got a letter."
    Meiling paused. "A letter? We don't get letters. We don't even have a mailbox."
    Koakuma shrugged, and said "We found it outside the entrance, sitting in broad daylight. At first we thought it may have been one of those trashy newspapers from the tengu, but it turned out to be a letter for you." She handed the letter to Meiling, and then said "I'll be heading back now! Enjoy your dinner!"
    Meiling waved at Koakuma as she flew away, then stared at the envelope for a few moments before opening it. "Who would want to send me a letter...?" Her eyes narrowed, as the paper inside was nearly blank. Dead center, there were only three words.

I'm hungry.
-Himemushi

    Meiling stared, not comprehending what she was seeing. "Himemushi? I...don't even know any Himemushi. Who sent this?" She sighed, and crumpled up the paper, shoving it in her pocket. "I'll bet one of the fairies sent me this as a joke. I wish they'd find someone else to prank..." She mumbled, as her gaze, once again, rose to the night sky, as the first stars began to come out. "Oh, it doesn't matter. Everyone has to have fun somehow, I guess..."