Part 8: Scapegoat

Kasen and Yukari stood on the outskirts of the Human village. Kasen had her arms crossed and her expression was one of frustration, but Yukari hid a smile behind her fan.
    "You couldn't have acted sooner? Before this thing got way out of hand? Before Reimu's life was in danger?" Kasen asked angrily.
    "You are almost as stupid as that oomukade if you really believed I would let the Hakurei shrine maiden perish." Yukari responded. "There was never any danger. Even if I hadn't come, any number of various youkai could have taken her down." She gazed up at the sky, then closed her eyes. "It is astonishing how humans can continually blow things out of proportion, decade after decade."
    Kasen uncrossed her arms and stared at Yukari. "How so?"
    "The only reason everyone here, in Gensokyo, was afraid of her, was because they'd only heard stories. Never seen one for themselves, never actually watched them work or attack dragons. It should be common sense that nothing is going to dethrone the dragons as the supreme rulers of this world." Yukari shook her head in disbelief. "Yet for some reason, everyone in Gensokyo was fooled. I don't know when people started becoming so unintelligent, but I can only hope it doesn't get worse from here."
    "Wait, so she actually was weak?" Kasen questioned incredulously.
    "Oh, no. Make no mistake, she was strong." Yukari affirmed. "Very powerful. I'd say as powerful as one of the devas of Youkai Mountain." She cast a glance at Kasen, who sullenly looked away. "As strong as an oni... but that is all. Weak dragons would be easily killed by oni, of course. Such as the one that escaped from Motoori's shop?" She added.
    "If that's the case, why did her mere presence make Reimu so sick?"
    "Because normally, youkai don't go around announcing and showing off their true power to others. Even the rowdy oni, such as Ibuki and Hoshiguma, don't just let their aura swallow everything around them." Yukari closed her fan with a snap. "By giving off such an obvious beacon of power, I was able to find her within minutes. It was quite the stupid move, actually."
    "Alright, and what about her claims? That there's a dragon here in Gensokyo?" Kasen pressed. "If that's true, aren't we all still in danger?"
    "Not at all." Yukari replied. "Even if there is such a dragon here, if they wanted to destroy Gensokyo, they would have done so already. If such a dragon exists, I think it simply wishes to be left alone. In peace." She turned and smiled at Kasen. "As long as it remains amicable, I don't care whether there is or isn't one here. And if it turns violent — there's nothing I would be able to do anyway."
    Kasen was taken aback. "What? Seriously? Even the most powerful youkai here—"
    "—Would fall like twigs before such a being, yes." Yukari finished. "Once a dragon decides to destroy something, it essentially becomes universal law. Nothing can stand against them. But as I said to Himemushi, all of the powerful and most ancient dragons aren't here." She pointed up. "They're in the Dragon Palace. Among Heaven and the oarfish. We are so insignificant to them that they can't be bothered to attack us. It would be like getting enraged at ants — a waste of time and energy. Even the royalty of the Lunar Capital, even the goddess of Hell — Once a dragon enters, their lives would be forfeit."
    Kasen took a shaky breath. "And...you still don't see a problem with letting one stay here?"
    "Aren't you listening?" Yukari smiled wider. "If there is one here, it is beyond all of our ability to control or contain it. What would you have me do? I have more pressing matters at hand, in any case." Her smile faded, and she turned in the direction of the Hakurei shrine. "I have information that Reimu needs to hear."

---

    Reimu groaned as she sat up. Looking down, she saw her torso had been wrapped in bandages, and then noticed she was lying in an unfamiliar room. "Where am I?" She muttered to herself.
    "Eientei's medical room." A voice answered. Reimu turned to her right, and saw a woman, clad in a red and blue dress and a nurse cap, standing there. Her hair was long and silver, tied in a braid. Her expression was warm as she entered. "After being contacted by the gap youkai's shikigami, we took you in and gave you medical attention." Her name was Eirin Yagokoro, the doctor and nurse of Eientei.
    "Medical attention, huh..." Reimu mumbled. "Guess I really was out of my league."
    "I don't know all the details, and frankly, I don't believe I have the permission to ask. All I need to know is how you feel." Eirin asked, taking a seat and smiling at her.
    Reimu touched her sides, then winced. "I've definitely felt better." She sighed.
    Eirin nodded. "I'm sure. However, I'm pleased to announce that after a good night's sleep tonight, all your wounds will be fully healed by morning."
    "Woah, wait, by morning? But I took a gutshot from a youkai!" Reimu said, stunned.
    "You did. However, I have medicine that amplifies and accelerates the body's natural healing process. I also ensured all of your organs were still intact, which they were. So there was really nothing for me to do other than give you the medicine." Eirin nodded.
    "Eirin, I wanted to ask about—" Another voice started, its owner standing in the doorway. As her eyes fell onto Reimu, she grinned. "Ooooh~! The shrine maiden's awake after taking her beating, huh~?" It was a girl in a pink dress with black hair, and lop-style rabbit ears hung from her head. Around her neck was a necklace with a carrot charm. She put her mouth to her hand and snickered. "You must have been off your game, huuuuuh~? Found someone out of your league~? Got too cocky~?" she drawled, giggling.
    "Tewi." Eirin said sternly. "Don't be rude."
    The girl, Tewi Inaba, groaned. "Fine. Anyway, I wanted to—"
    "Actually Tewi, before that, I have a favor to ask." Eirin interrupted.
    Tewi scowled, but answered "What?"
    "Please guide the shrine maiden out of the Bamboo Forest."
    "Ugghhhhh." Tewi moaned. "Can't she just fly out?"
    "Not in this state." Eirin replied shortly. "Guide her out, then come back, I have other tasks for you."
    Tewi glared at Eirin for a time, then growled "Come on, then." With that, she walked out.
    "I apologize for Tewi's behavior—" Eirin started.
    "It's fine. I don't care. I have more important things to think about." Reimu waved her away. Slowly, she slid off the table and got to her feet. "Where's my top?" She asked.
    "It'll be waiting for you at Eientei's entrance, along with your purification rod, needles, and ofuda." Eirin reassured her. "From what I understand, the gap youkai would like to speak with you at the Hakurei shrine, so, best not keep her waiting."
    Reimu grunted, then put on her socks and shoes and began to walk out, but she paused. "Um...Thanks. I guess." She mumbled.
    Eirin smiled warmly. "It is my pleasure. Come back any time you'd like."
    Tewi tapped her foot as she stood on Eientei's veranda, waiting impatiently. As Reimu emerged, she snapped "Well, come on! I don't have all day!" Reimu rolled her eyes, and put on her top, as well as her hair tubes.
    "Lead the way, then." Reimu grouched.