Part 10: Summons

For the next few days, there was nothing out of the ordinary at the Scarlet Mansion. Sakuya and the maid fairies cleaned and cooked, like always. Remilia went out for her nightly flights, same as always. And just like always, Meiling stood guard at the gate, sometimes asleep, sometimes alert. The peace lasted for some time, but on one cloudy day, it seemed it was about to be disturbed once more.
    Just like every day, Meiling was standing at the gate, asleep at the moment. For a few minutes, it seemed like nothing would happen on this day, either. However, a figure descended from the sky, gently touching down on the ground.
    Despite her sound slumber, Meiling could sense the change in qi almost immediately, and she growled "I'd recognize that qi anywhere." There, in front of her, out in the open, stood Iku Nagae. Her expression, similar to the first day she'd arrived, was cold, and judgemental. She said nothing, simply staring at Meiling. "What do you want?" Meiling murmured in a lethal tone.
    "Your presence is required at the Palace." Iku replied shortly.
    "I refuse." Meiling responded, glaring at her.
    "You do not have the right to refuse. You are to come to the Palace, immediately."
    "And? Are you going to make me?" Meiling scoffed. "A servant? If you'd like me to come back, then bring a real dragon. Consider that an order."
    Iku's eyes narrowed. "I no longer answer to you. You made your choice upon deserting the Palace. Now, your presence is demanded once more."
    "Make me." Meiling growled, gaining a faint rainbow aura.
    "Killing me means nothing. They will send another messenger, or an assassin. As I did. The oomukade's instructions were quite clear. Arise from the underground, present us your head, and leave."
    "But it seems the gap youkai was something you weren't anticipating?" Meiling sneered. "What a shame. Regardless, from what I understand, the oomukade in question was one I could have effortlessly crushed under my heel. Either way, I would not have returned to the palace."
    Iku paused. "We are certainly preparing retribution on Yakumo. She will be prosecuted at the appropriate time. As for you, your sentence was already decided, years and years ago. You are demanded at the Dragon Palace...for your execution."
    "Then tell them to come and get me." Meiling said quietly, her tone as dangerous as possible. "I will be waiting. Whether you answer to me or not, your summons is ignored. And from this moment on, I will consider you a threat to this household. I demand...that you leave."
    "As the elders anticipated this, I was instructed to bring you back by any means necessary." Iku announced, lightning beginning to spark around her. "Even at the cost of my life."
    "Oh, don't worry. I won't kill you. After all, you still need to inform the Palace of my answer, yes?" Meiling growled. Just as they had in the SDM, instilling fear in its residents, horns began to sprout from Meiling's forehead, and rainbow scales slowly started growing from her arms and around her face. The rainbow aura around her became brilliantly bright.
    Iku was unphased. "You were considered one of the strongest dragons during your time at the palace. Or, more specifically, the most promising dragon within your generation. But times change, and the elders are active once more. I serve them, and their strength and power puts yours to shame. I am not afraid of you."
    Meiling breathed what appeared to be a small ember of rainbow fire, and her voice gained an extra layer, deeper and more ominous. "Then let me rekindle that fear. You are out of line. It seems your master must whip you back into place." Her fingernails began to get longer, and she continued "Once I am done punishing you, be a good messenger for me. Return to the Palace, and tell them this. 'The deserter isn't coming home.' And if they want me to return, then they should have sent more than a messenger."
    "I...am all the force they need." Iku responded, cloaking herself in lighting, sending rippling thunder through the clouds. "Now. Come."
    Meiling growled, then let out a deafening roar of anger — an ear-piercing, chilling dragon's roar.
    All around Gensokyo, heads lifted and turned toward the source of the noise. Reactions ranged from curiosity, to irritation, to outright fear. And at the Hakurei shrine, Reimu's heart dropped. "That idiot...what is she doing...?" She whispered, the roar ringing in her ears. Similarly, in the Forest of Magic, Marisa paused, sweat beginning to appear across her brow. "What the hell was that?" Then she had a sinking feeling as she murmured "...Meiling?"
    Meiling retained her human form... but only just. Her body was coated in rainbow scales, and a long, scaly tail emerged from behind her. Two sharp, straight horns protruded proudly from her forehead, and her hands had turned into dragon claws. She dashed at Iku, leaving craters in the ground as she ran.
    Iku swiftly flew up in the air, and stated "Slow."
    Meiling snarled, and the ground cracked under her feet as she jumped into the air. She spun in the air, kicking three times in Iku's direction, releasing waves of rainbow-colored energy.
    "Rusty, are we?" Iku said flatly, dodging each blast. "Your fighting speed and strength do not match those of a greater dragon."
    "Then why don't you help me practice?" Meiling roared, charging at Iku. She took a swipe at Iku's face, and she dodged — but not quickly enough. A small, thin cut appeared on Iku's face and began to bleed.
    Iku's eyes widened as she touched her face, and Meiling's face contorted into a grin. "I've been looking forward to this for a very, very, long time. Do try not to die."
    Iku flew backwards in the air, muttering "That's impossible. There's no way—"
    Meiling rushed at Iku again, kicking her square in the stomach, sending Iku flying into a tree as she coughed up more blood.
    "Wait—" She gasped.
    Meiling ignored her, and leapt upon Iku, growling smugly "Let's go somewhere more private." She grabbed Iku and flew off, heading towards the Nameless Hill.

---

    Reimu was flying as fast as she could to the SDM, and out from the trees, Marisa appeared, flying up next to her on her broom. They glanced at each other and sped up. It didn't take them long to reach the mansion's gate, but Meiling was nowhere to be found. Only the craters remained.
    "Not good. Not good, Reimu. What do ya think happened? Where could she have gone?" Marisa asked frantically.
    "I don't know. I don't know, this is so stupid! I told her to keep her head down, and now—" Reimu growled. She flew over the gate and started pounding on the SDM's front door. "Remilia! Open up, now! We have a problem!"
    "I'm aware." Remilia's voice sounded from behind the door, as she opened it, her gaze shifting between the two of them. "I don't know what could have possessed Meiling to roar like she did, but I don't think it was a good idea; half of Gensokyo will be coming to investigate now. Whatever it is, after this, Meiling is going to need an alibi. For now, we must find her. It's a good thing it's cloudy today." She sighed. "Sakuya!"
    Sakuya appeared in an instant, making Reimu and Marisa jump. "Yes, Milady."
    "Have you done what I asked you to do?"
    "Yes, Milady. The hermit has been informed, though I didn't mention Meiling, of course. Yakumo should be here shortly, although..." Sakuya's face grew worried. "I'm not sure there's much even she could do."
    "Forget stopping Meiling. We need damage control, right now. Spread a rumor about another powerful youkai throughout Gensokyo, make up a new one if you have to, I don't care. We cannot let people find out where the sound truly came from."
    "Absolutely, Milady. One step ahead, as always." Sakuya nodded, before vanishing.
    Remilia turned to Reimu and Marisa. "That includes you two."
   "Us?!" Marisa cried. "What? What are we supposed to do?!"
    "The same thing Sakuya is doing. Go to everyone you can and tell them there's a dangerous youkai around; everyone should stay in their homes and shelter in place until further notice."
    "But, we, I, — Argggghh!" Reimu shouted. "Fine! Come on Marisa, we have to go, now!"
    "Oh, for gods' sake!" Marisa yelled, hopping on her broom. Together the two flew into the air in opposite directions.
    Remilia sighed, then turned her gaze skyward. "Wherever you are, Meiling...please, be safe, and don't do anything rash!"

---

    Soon, Meiling threw Iku to the ground as they arrived at the Nameless Hill. Iku tried to stand up, but found herself growing weak, and coughing. "What the hell...is this?" She managed.
    "Lily of the Valley. Toxic, airborne miasma." Meiling grinned. "Harmless to a dragon. Deadly for everyone else. Congratulations. You now have a time limit. If you want to take me back, you'd better do it quickly. If not, this place will kill you in minutes."
    Iku coughed violently. "This is ridiculous! All this just to avoid coming back? You're acting like a spoiled, petulant child!"
    Meiling dashed forward, and grabbed Iku by the throat. "Do not EVER speak to your superiors in such a tone, or I'll have you slit your own stomach as punishment."
    "You...aren't...my...superior..." Iku choked out.
    Meiling snarled and threw Iku into the ground, sending her skidding across the field of flowers. "Insolence!" She yelled, dashing towards Iku once more. Before Iku could even stand, she felt Meiling grab her arm. "Wait!" Iku tried, but Meiling ignored her. Again, Meiling threw Iku into the ground, then jumped on her back as she slid, pushing her face into the dirt. She leapt off Iku's back, then flipped her right side up. "You WILL refer to me as your master!" Meiling shouted.
    "Never..." Iku croaked.
    Meiling's eyes grew to slits, and she stomped down on Iku's arm, hard. Several loud cracking noises were heard, and Iku let out a scream of pain. "Answer me PROPERLY! WHO DO YOU SERVE?!" Meiling roared. Not getting any response, she ground her foot against Iku's other arm.
    "Aaaaaaaaah!" Iku cried. "Stop! Please!"
    "You came here and tried to KILL me! Tried to threaten my family! ANSWER ME!"
    "The dragons! I serve the dragons, including you! Please, don't do anything more—" But she was interrupted by Meiling planting her foot into Iku's stomach, and her eyes widened as she coughed up blood. Finally, Meiling got off of her, breathing heavily.
    "Get up." Meiling ordered.
    "I- I can't—"
    "GET UP! STAND AND FACE YOUR MASTER!" Meiling yelled, grabbing one of Iku's broken arms, pulling her to her feet. Iku cried out in pain, as she did so, and begged "I understand! I will deliver the message, so, please, just—"
    "You only speak when spoken to." Meiling said darkly. "I have not given you permission to speak." Instantly, Iku fell silent, her eyes filled with tears. Her hat had long since been thrown off somewhere, and her red and white clothes were torn and covered in dirt. "I. Am. Not. Going. Home." Meiling said slowly. "You WILL return to the Dragon Palace, and you WILL ensure that everyone in that accursed place fully understands that. If they continue to hunt me, there will be grave consequences. I do not like seeing my siblings fight, but should they endanger my family once more, I will rain down an unholy fire upon them." She threw Iku back to the ground, where she lie, coughing loudly.
    As Meiling began to walk away, Iku shouted "You're an embarrassment! I knew I was right to treat you like dirt all those years! Every embarrassment you've caused the dragons! Every weak and pathetic show of uncertainty! Every whimper about the conflict!" Meiling paused. "You don't deserve to even be called a dragon! Deserter! Traitor! The other dragons will have your head on a pike for this, mark my words!"
    There was silence, then Meiling responded "The other dragons embarrassed themselves the moment they stooped to fighting like filthy rats." Iku's eyes widened. "We are supposed to represent peace, unity and longevity. Every dragon there is a disgusting disgrace to our heritage. I am the only TRUE dragon left. Never forget that."
    With that, Meiling flew off, leaving Iku broken and sobbing amongst the wreckage.

---

    "Did ya get the word out?" Marisa asked. She and Reimu were standing in front of the Scarlet Mansion's gate.
    "Of course I did, what do you take me for?!" Reimu snapped. "If anything, it's that maid we have to worry about! She probably did a subpar job! And what about Yukari? Didn't she say she talked to Kasen? Kasen is gonna call Yukari in, right? How exactly are we supposed to hide Meiling from her?"
    "Very carefully." A voice said from behind them, and they turned to see Sakuya standing there, arms crossed. "And for your information, I never accept less than perfect results in anything I do."
    "You." Reimu growled. "What the hell were you thinking, calling Yukari?! Do you know what she's going to do to Meiling?"
    "Nothing." Sakuya replied nonchalantly.
    "Excuse me?!" Reimu shouted.
    "I believe she already discussed this with you. There is nothing she, or anyone else in Gensokyo, can do to stop or contain Meiling. Whether she finds out or not, it doesn't matter."
    "If that's so, then why have ya been hidin' Meiling all this time?" Marisa demanded.
    "That was at Meiling's personal request. She no longer wished to be associated with the dragons, or the Dragon Palace. She wished to be treated the same as anyone else, and we obliged, keeping her secret." Sakuya glared at them. "And while there's nothing I can do against Yukari, you two had better maintain and cover up the secret as best you can, or I'll hunt you."
    "Whatever, I don't care." Reimu grumbled. "It's not like I'm going to go around blabbing it after we just told everyone that it wasn't her."
    "That what wasn't me?" Meiling's voice sounded behind them.
    Everyone jumped and turned to face Meiling.
    "Where the hell WERE you?!" Reimu asked, incredulously. "You're covered in dirt! What did you do?"
    Meiling scratched her head and laughed awkwardly. "Ah, well, Iku came by, and—"
    "Iku was here?!" Sakuya's eyes narrowed. "Where is she? What did she want?"
    "We just had a bit of a...disagreement, is all." Meiling reassured her. "It's nothing to worry about, I promise."
    "Oh yeah? And how about that roar?" Marisa asked sharply. "Ya do realize that we had ta do our best ta cover fer you, right? That we had ta tell everyone it wasn't you?"
    Meiling's face fell. "Ah. Right. That. I, uh— I guess I shouldn't have done that. But rest assured, it won't happen again!" She smiled weakly.
    "Somehow I doubt that." Reimu mumbled. Louder, she said "So where is Iku now?"
    "Well, right about now she should be on her way back to the Dragon Palace! I told her the situation and she's gonna try and tell the other dragons that I'm happy where I am. It's nothing to worry about!" Meiling replied cheerfully. "You all should head back home, I appreciate you covering for me! Really. For now, I'll just try to lay low, like you said, right?"
    There was a pause, then Marisa said "Well...I guess if yer sure...I mean, I WAS in the middle of pickin' mushrooms when I heard it, so, I'd best be off anyway." She got on her broom, waved, and took off.
    "Are you sure you're okay?" Reimu asked anxiously. "You still look kinda roughed up."
    Meiling waved her hand casually. "I'm fine, I'm fine! Hey, don't you have to worry about the fairies? While you're gone, I bet they're doing something pretty nasty to the shrine."
    Reimu sighed. "Good point. Well, I'll go, but if you need anything, please call first? If I'd known Iku was here, I could have talked to her. Anyway, see you." Reimu waved, before flying away.
    "Sakuya, why don't you head inside?" Meiling suggested. "It seems like it's gonna get colder, so you should go in and get warm."
    Sakuya stared at Meiling for a few minutes, then said "I...suppose. Meiling, are you sure you're okay?"
    Meiling saluted. "As okay as ever, ma'am! Don't worry about me!" With that she faced forward, placing her hands behind her back. Sakuya was temporarily at ease, but as she walked by Meiling, she noticed something— Meiling's fingernails had spots of blood on them. Her eyes widened, but she didn't ask Meiling about it, merely continuing on into the mansion. Her thoughts were racing, but the thing at the front of her mind was: Meiling...what really happened? What...did you do?